Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to organize a trip to Deals Gap, NC over the Memorial Day weekend. We plan to leave from Minneapolis and ride to NC, then back over 6 days. The goal is to ride the "Tail of the Dragon", 318 curves in 11 miles through the mountains in North Carolina. If anyone is interested send me a note.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice thing about the holiday weekend, hardly any cars on the road for your long trip or any motorcycles at the dragon. It'll be like empty all the way! (sarcasm) -

it's gonna be a parking lot down there :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
elader (sarcastic son of a gun that he is) is dead on the money.
Suggestion: There is some FANTASTIC riding between Indiana and Deal's Gap. If you want some help with a route drop me a line but take a nice three day ride to get there, ride it Tuesday when everyone is back to work and then, if you must, beat feet for home. The Gap is a nice destination and sort of a right of passage in riding it but there are roads enroute you could enjoy a whole lot more.
You don't want to ride the Gap on any weekend let alone a Holiday weekend. The TN State Police will be there in force.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Me and a few buddies are planning a trip to Deals Gap from upstate NY as soon as the snow melts. We will go down the blue ridge parkway and spend a few days riding the dragon and surrounding stuff... But NO Way would I want to do it on a holiday weekend. We will leave on a Monday, be there on Wed, ride Wed to Fri, then make a slab run back north on Saturday... depends how my old bones are feeling might run back in one shot (900 miles) or stop half way and be home Sunday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Deals / surrounding areas

Try sometime in September. Most of the "youngins" are back in school and the leaf lookers are not out in droves yet. I'll be there myself but haven't set the date in concrete yet. Five of us went last year in late October, the weather was chilly but pleasant. The leaf lookers were everywhere! There were some areas that had a lot of traffic, especially the tourist traps. Other than that, it was a great trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts