Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autumn, 2014; Southeastern Pennsylvania.
Approx. 9:30 AM.

I exit the via the front door as usual. I have already donned the riding pants and jacket. I'm carrying the helmet, which has been kept indoors overnight.
I finish the pre-ride routine of a quick check over of the bike and put on eyeglasses, install earplugs, helmet and finally, gloves.

I shove off and after a few minutes realize that the back of my right hand itches. Several reach-over-and-scratch sessions and it's burning/stinging.
Pulling off the road into a service station parking lot, I remove the right glove in a way that turns the glove inside-out, ready to inspect it to see what the cause is. Out comes a white furry caterpillar with a black stripe down its spine.
I quickly stomp on it. Animal rights and PETA be damned.

I scratch the spot between my two smallest fingers and re-install the glove, only to find the itching that has turned nearly unbearable is now accompanied by intense stinging and getting worse.

I reverse course and head inside the living room and sit down with a bright light and magnifying visor. What I find is what looks like a hundred tiny white hairs embedded in the webbing between the two fingers and onto the back of my hand. They're so small that they're nearly impossible to grab onto and remove. A few dabs with some rubbing alcohol and a few more attempts to remove the hairs proves futile.

Finally, about a half-hour's worth of grabbing at them with small nail clippers, they're out. The itching continues.
All day. My hand is still itching at 7:25 PM and it's swollen.
I couldn't work the hand brake or throttle without it causing so much pain as to make the ride unbearable.
I've never had anything itch this badly before.

From Snopes.com:
Little white and black caterpillars all over are POISONOUS. they are apparently new to the area..... doctors say there has been numerous kids having reactions to them. the rash spreads fast. the caterpillars have long white hairs that embed in skin and send poison through out the body. DO NOT TOUCH and DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS TOUCH!!! they look cute and fuzzy and THEY ARE NOT! Please re-post to everyone you know with little kids!!

Attachments

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
For the pain and itching you might want to make a paste out of vinegar and baking soda and put it on there. That is also what we use around here for bee and wasp stings. It tends to help pull the poison/gunk out of the skin. My daughter is allergic to all bees and wasp, I keep benadryl, vinegar and baking soda handy.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, poisonous or not, what this thing inflicted on me is pretty bad.
I don't have any allergies, that I'm aware of. I get stung by bees, hornets, wasps, whatever, and it stings, but it goes away without much bother and is forgotten.
I once got stung by eight wasps, all within a few inches of each other.
It hurt, but it was no big deal. No swelling or discoloration, just eight itchy spots for a few hours.

I don't react to poison ivy, sumac, or anything of the type.

I told my neighbor and he said he was drying himself off with a towel that had one of these buggers on it and it got him across the back. He said it was horrible and kept him up all night and that antihistamine was only moderately effective.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Meat tenderizer is another thing to try. Just make a paste and apply.
On of the kids on the ball team always required a trip to the doctor from bee stings. She used some meat tenderizer from a kit we always carried and took off to the doctor,but soon returned when it did the trick.

Oh,and Preperation H works a treat on jellyfish stings...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,790 Posts
if it hasn't gone away be now go to the doctors. Better safe than sorry

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It actually got worse overnight, which was when I should have been sleeping, but couldn't. The constant intense itch kept me up.
I finally relented today, and bought some generic Benadryl.

It's so swollen that shortly after taking this pic this morning, I noticed the skin is splitting at the base of the pinky.

Attachments

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
As someone who just spent a solid two weeks being covered in poison ivy, I truly feel for you.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It actually got worse overnight, which was when I should have been sleeping, but couldn't. The constant intense itch kept me up.
I finally relented today, and bought some generic Benadryl.

It's so swollen that shortly after taking this pic this morning, I noticed the skin is splitting at the base of the pinky.
Let me put it in simple terms that you might understand. Get your butt to the doctor today.

·
American Legion Rider
21,107 Posts
Some of those critters have some nasty defenses so birds don't have a field day with them. May take a steroid shot to curb the affects.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Jeez, that looks NASTY !
I hope you get hold of an effective treatment soon.
Then let us know, what actually worked.
Good Luck.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Yeah you're gonna need a MethylPREDNISolone Dose Pack or steroid shot for that. The longer you wait the longer it'll be til' you get relief.

·
American Legion Rider
21,107 Posts
Anytime Eye, anytime.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
If it ever happens again, rather than try to pull the individual hairs out with a nail clipper, try useing something like Nu-Skin, glue or duct tape. Just apply, let dry, then peel off. That's how I get out stingers and splinters.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
^^Very good idea, actually.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I was looking at Weather.com last night, checking the forecast, and one of the video's they have was about these little caterpillars...they said to use tape to get the "stingers" out....but I also agree with others, get to the Dr. and get it looked at and a shot or something to take care of it

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:
It's much better now. The itching has died down a bit and the swelling is about gone. I went to Wally World and bought some Diphenhydramine (generic Benadryl) and then to the health food store and got some vitamin E cream, which I was out of.
I took one of the capsules and went to sleep. Woke up and took another and went back to sleep, which lasted almost all night, thank you very much.
Same routine last night, same results.

I tried putting the riding glove on about an hour ago and no problem. I'm getting ready to go for a ride. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Did you turn the glove inside out and make sure there are no more ticklers in there?

Glad to hear it is clearing up!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts