Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mid-50's, bright blue sky, and for the first time in four months to the day, took the big Triumph out and went for a ride. My hands got a bit cold, but oh how good it felt to be moving on two wheels again. I only saw two other riders, but I am sure there will be many more in the days to come. Life is good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also took out my bike on Sunday felt so great to be on the road also seen two other bikers out..I get so amped up when I see other riders out riding.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
So you are all healed up then? No issues with the incisions?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Woke up to roads still wet and muddy from yesterday's rain and the ice and snow treatments from last week. Mid 40s. The ride to work was glorious!

:71baldboy:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well, I'm thrilled that you guys have gotten out for a rip. Vito, glad to hear that you're well on your way to being mended up.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Ahh, Vito, I don't think there were a dozen (active) members of this forum who weren't pulling for you, inquiring about you, and/or wishing you well, praying for your recovery. Great news to hear you're back among the liv, err, riding.

Seems like we ALL end up on the "One day at a time" plan sooner or later, either due to health issues, aging, financial problems, whatever. And once you get ON the plan it works allright.

And ANY day you get to go riding is a better day than the one's we don't.

Can I get an amen?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again to all who send me well wishes. I feel I am pretty much back to normal after my surgery. Having a kidney removed is more than I counted on, and it has taken me a full two months to feel "normal" again. I still have some discomfort where the 12 inch long incision is, especially since my belt sits right on part of the incision area, but my one hour ride yesterday didn't cause me any grief. I pretty much stayed in town, riding up and down major streets. I was a bit hesitant to venture onto country roads, not knowing if I would encounter flooded areas, or lots of sand still in the corners, etc.

Every year, when taking the first ride of the season, I feel I need to remind myself of all the do's and don'ts of riding, and to get myself back into a full riding mindset. I usually take at least a few rides solo before taking a passenger again, and use these first rides to check out both my bike and my reflexes and timing. After months of only driving four wheel vehicles, a little bit of taking it easy on two wheels just seems prudent as a way to ease myself back into full riding mode.

For me, the season has started. I wish it for all of you out there as well. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
8,606 Posts
We had almost zero visibility this morning due to fog and fog drastically seems like it lowers the temperature when you ride in it. It was 40 degrees but will go up to 70 today. I just hope I can cut out early, hop on the soot and ride a little.

Soon we'll be complaining about the heat and Humidity!

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I figure A few more weeks before I feel good enough to chance it with all the left over salt still out on the road. We are in meltdown here but some of it is still freezing overnight. I still haven't registered the bike or renewed the insurance policy yet. My first ride will most likely to be to the shop to get it inspected.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Way to go vito. Try suspenders. :)

Too much fog this morning to ride to work. Maybe tomorrow.

Have done fog but not at 40F

·
Registered
121 Posts
I figure A few more weeks before I feel good enough to chance it with all the left over salt still out on the road. We are in meltdown here but some of it is still freezing overnight. I still haven't registered the bike or renewed the insurance policy yet. My first ride will most likely to be to the shop to get it inspected.
SW PA is covered with salt residue and cinder ... My problem is that my driveway is still covered in two inches of ice, with a river of melting snow running down it. It's gonna be a few more days before it just mud, not ice.

I could get my bike out and down the driveway, but I'm pretty sure it'd be going down rubber side up...LOL:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Ahh, Vito, I don't think there were a dozen (active) members of this forum who weren't pulling for you, inquiring about you, and/or wishing you well, praying for your recovery. Great news to hear you're back among the liv, err, riding.

Seems like we ALL end up on the "One day at a time" plan sooner or later, either due to health issues, aging, financial problems, whatever. And once you get ON the plan it works allright.

And ANY day you get to go riding is a better day than the one's we don't.

Can I get an amen?
Amen!!! Very insightful post, and here is why. Four years ago, it was one day at a time for me. I made the mistake post surgery of asking what my chances were and the good doctor had software on her computer that was designed to answer that question, It was 20% to last for even two years even though they operated at stage 2.

Overnight things went from growing a business to making it smaller. Also,we had recently converted our medical insurance from per visit deductible to HSA and that meant an extra five grand outflow per year when I was not working. Couple that with depreciating property values from the "Great Recession" and it became a game just to keep even (we didn't]. Oh,and we had a burglary that cost us another 10 grand even after the insurance payout.

We always lived poor to die rich,but now it is as satisfying to live poor to not go broke. We see plenty of people so much worse off than us that there is even room to be thankful for our what we do have. I also am thankful for this forum. It was a great place to spend some time during the dark days of chemo and took my mind off feeling sick.... Now it is still a great place to see how my friends are doing,and some of you guys are my friends without my ever telling you so. Keep on doing what you are doing

One way to look at life is to first read the obituaries. If your name is not there, go ahead and plan your day.....

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Any day your name is not in the obituaries is a good day.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Had the TUX out on Monday when it was in the mid 50°Fs. I should have went out Tuesday too as it was in the mid 60°Fs here, but didn't realize it was so warm until I left for work.

·
8,606 Posts
We are all just one missed breath away from eternity so we need to get our SPIRITUAL house in order as well as our affairs also.

"Ride at last, ride at last, thank God almighty for a ride at last!"

Vito, you didn't happen to ride with Martin Luther King in the past did you?

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had I been quicker to appreciate the joy of motorcycling, I might have ridden with Martin Luther King Jr., or at least ridden while he was alive. Back the late '60's when MLK was marching, I was marching too but in the U.S. Army. As a newly married 2Lt, with our first child born in 1968, motorcycling was something that would have to wait. And wait it did, for another 15 years. So I was 40 when I seriously got into riding, and that was well over 30 years ago. I regret not riding those earlier years, so I am trying to make up for it now. I think I'll have to still be riding until I'm 80 if I hope to be able to lose the regret of not riding when I was younger. And God willing I will be riding when I'm 80, and beyond. If need be, it will be on a trike of some kind, but riding. Every morning that I wake up on the green side of the grass is a good day!

·
Registered
886 Posts
The weather here in Maryland hasn't quite got to my comfort zone yet and I'm also waiting for some help from above to send a hard rain to wash the road salt away before taking that first ride of spring.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts