Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a returning rider and have done a great deal of research over the last 10 months. I'm set on the bike(honda CB500X). My question is, how much will dealers negotiate MSRP and should I expect to haggle??
:icon_mad:

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Most of the time you can haggle a bit on the price. I've always thought it's best to deal on the out the door price. Dealerships often play the game of offering a low retail price then adding all kinds of markups and fees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of the time you can haggle a bit on the price. I've always thought it's best to deal on the out the door price. Dealerships often play the game of offering a low retail price then adding all kinds of markups and fees.
Thanks for the confirmation, I have seen similar comments on buying bikes in general:)

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Things you will have to pay for are the actual factory delivery fee, taxes, and actual registration and title costs. You can probably find the delivery fee on Honda's website, the vehicle sales tax on your state website, and the registration and title fee at the DMV website. Add those to the MSRP to see what the price is without discount, and start below that as a single figure- the out the door price.

Buying previous year models can often save quite a bit since there are sometimes dealer incentives to remove old stock. It also helps to shop different dealers if possible to see if they can beat the other guy's deal.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Of course buying lightly used can save a lot of money if you plan to go that route.
Lots of Good Deals like that can be found on Motorcycles, mainly from people that thought they wanted to Ride, then turns out they didn't ..

·
Registered
652 Posts
What I've noticed is the ABS models of the CB500 sell quickly, so I wouldn't expect much of a discount on those. The non-ABS don't sit on the floor a lot longer. There's 2013 and 2014 models around here that are nicely discounted. If you can forgo ABS, you can probably get a better price.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
You need to walk in with your eyes wide open. I feel about the same way about a bike salesman as I do a used car salesman. They will tell you whatever it is they think will get you to sign the contract. In reality, there is nobody about to get back to them that day on the bike you have been admiring, they can give you a better price than their "best offer", your old bike is worth more than they will admit and their profit margin is much bigger than they will admit. If you want to play hardball, you need to really be ready to walk if they won't deal. They will call you at home an hour after you get there if you actually do walk.

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
Contact Russellville Honda in Arkansas. They will give you an excellent no haggle out the door price. Seriously, it is almost impossible to beat their prices anywhere on Hondas. Then either fly there (they will pick you up at the airport), or use the price they give you to help you negotiate with a local dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I worked for Japanese car dealers for years, as a tech. And they have an internet dept. that gets orders from customers and sets up a purchase on that price. I am not sure if Motorcycle dealers have that same type of set up but it is worth looking into.

·
Registered
809 Posts
This is great advice! I buy all my cars this way and some motorcycle dealers have this as well. If you walk in to the showroom they're going to start negotiating at the sticker price (for example, $7495) and try to give you all the B.S. sales schmooz. If they have an internet site, though, they realize they are trying to bring in customers from far and wide that will probably NEVER walk into their showroom otherwise. The same bike may have an "internet only price" of $6795.

Still, try to negotiate a lower price. You may be able to get the "internet only price" OTD with tax, tag, fees, etc. Always negotiate, don't ever hesitate to walk. Get prices from all dealers within two or three hour drive. Tell them right up front: "I live in Tinseltown an hour and a half away, so I need your best out the door price, or it's not worth it for me to make the drive. And don't B.S. me, because if I drive an hour and a half and you don't stick to the deal, we're going to have a problem..."

Still, be reasonable. I found a dealer who was quoting a significantly lower OTD price - seven hours away in another state. They probably bought a truckload of that certain model and got a better deal from the manufacturer. I didn't realistically expect my local dealers to "meet or beat" that price.

I worked for Japanese car dealers for years, as a tech. And they have an internet dept. that gets orders from customers and sets up a purchase on that price. I am not sure if Motorcycle dealers have that same type of set up but it is worth looking into.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts