Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Chinese Loncin 250 single cyclinder rebranded as a Rusi (Philippines company).

It's called the Classic 250. I actually like the retro look but with the added modern features of triple discs and USD forks.

It came with dual purpose tyres which made the steering really heavy, so I swapped them out for street tyres.

It's Euro 3 compliant, however I replaced the muffler for something more in keeping with the style.

For the equivalent of around $1500 US, I think that it's a good buy.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
They certainly went for the whole feature list, an 18 horsepower motorcycle with dual disc front brakes. I think that's a new record.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They certainly went for the whole feature list, an 18 horsepower motorcycle with dual disc front brakes. I think that's a new record.
Yeah, well. I don't think any bike can have too much braking power regardless of HP. But hey - it's not your bike, so you don't care, right?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Correct, not my bike, but in my experience more brakes does not make them better brakes. Better brakes have 4 pistons to make them work better and if they had a 4 piston calliper brake you wouldn't need 2 of them you would only need 1 at half the weight and less weight on the front forks will make it head shake less.

And all I care is that people realize what they are buying when they buy the features instead of the hardware.

Those rear shock absorbers look like the ones that have the fake gas reservoir, are they, or are they really nitrogen gas shock absorbers?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I went full cheapo for my "cafe racer". Dongfeng DF250RTG. Cost me $1250 delivered in a crate to my front door last year, some assembly required. Not as nice looking as yours, and only the single dinky disc up front -- which is adequate if not optimal -- and after 1000+ miles I am still in love with the li'l bugger.

PS: The BMW sticker is a joke. I tell people it means "Beijng Motor Werks". The Garcia stickers are Presidential campaign stickers for my candidate, Jerry Garcia. Yeah, he's Dead, but he's Grateful, and the slogan beneath the name reads, "Make America Grateful Again!" ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
And all I care is that people realize what they are buying when they buy the features instead of the hardware.

Those rear shock absorbers look like the ones that have the fake gas reservoir, are they, or are they really nitrogen gas shock absorbers?
Mate - been riding and working on bikes for 50 years - so don't need to be schooled on motorcycles. For what it is, maybe 120kph (absolute max), the brakes are fine...and of course the rear shocks are fake nitros. But I don't care - because the brakes and shocks are actually quite good and perform well enough for the ability of the bike.

Reactions: Trials

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went full cheapo for my "cafe racer". Dongfeng DF250RTG. Cost me $1250 delivered in a crate to my front door last year, some assembly required. Not as nice looking as yours, and only the single dinky disc up front -- which is adequate if not optimal -- and after 1000+ miles I am still in love with the li'l bugger.

PS: The BMW sticker is a joke. I tell people it means "Beijng Motor Werks". The Garcia stickers are Presidential campaign stickers for my candidate, Jerry Garcia. Yeah, he's Dead, but he's Grateful, and the slogan beneath the name reads, "Make America Grateful Again!" ;)
Nice! I actually took the 'Rusi' chrome stickers off the tank and replaced then with some Yahama V Star decals - had to sand the edges down because the shape didn't fit the tank - but actually turned out pretty good.

And yeah, I love the little Cafe with it's single cylinder 'Tok, Tok' sound from the muffler. Reminds of the bikes back in the late 60s, early 70s...I had two Ducati 450 singles back in the day - a Silver Shotgun and a Mach 3....this little scoot brings back some fond memories.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
My experience here has been that guys with bikes made in Asia (most from China) have a real hard time keeping them running. The most common problems are fuel issues, vacuum leaks, etc. I wish you well.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My experience here has been that guys with bikes made in Asia (most from China) have a real hard time keeping them running. The most common problems are fuel issues, vacuum leaks, etc. I wish you well.

I fully anticipated a passel of problems, but it was at the start of the pandemic, I was not able to work (Court Reporter, and all the courts closed) and bored at home, I needed a project, and I had the money. I have to say, though, that despite the supremely cheap nature of the parts and overall build I have been delighted with the little bike. Yeah the battery crapped out after about a month, and some of the soft bolts (like they were molded out of Gummi Bears) had to be replaced, but otherwise nothing broke so far. Not my main transportation, for sure, nor would I want it to be, but for around town and fun riding around the country roads on a Sunday afternoon, it is a hoot and has been utterly reliable. And believe it or not, on level pavement it'll hit 72 MPH, and cruise uphill and down dale at a steady 55-60.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I fully anticipated a passel of problems, but it was at the start of the pandemic, I was not able to work (Court Reporter, and all the courts closed) and bored at home, I needed a project, and I had the money. I have to say, though, that despite the supremely cheap nature of the parts and overall build I have been delighted with the little bike. Yeah the battery crapped out after about a month, and some of the soft bolts (like they were molded out of Gummi Bears) had to be replaced, but otherwise nothing broke so far. Not my main transportation, for sure, nor would I want it to be, but for around town and fun riding around the country roads on a Sunday afternoon, it is a hoot and has been utterly reliable. And believe it or not, on level pavement it'll hit 72 MPH, and cruise uphill and down dale at a steady 55-60.
That's great!!! l would love to see quality rise on these bikes

·
Registered
589 Posts

Me and you both! But there is a mostly-American-made bike, the Janus, with pretty much the same engine, that is a little jewel -- but at 5 times or so the price, mine looks just fine to me! Mine is sort of in the "spirit" of the Janus, except that mine is just fun while the Janus is a work of art. Not everyone likes them, but you really can't complain about the build quality.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Loncin is the oldest motorcycle manufacturer in China. They are also the company that produced the BMW 800 engines. Their manufacturing standards are pretty high. Not up to Japanese - but not many Jap bikes are made in Japan anymore anyway.

My Loncin GP 250 (Rusi SS 250) is four years old, and I have had zero issues with it, except for a dead battery after two years. I put an aftermarket exhaust system, flat slide carb, sports air filter, racing CDI, racing coil and Iridium plug in it and it goes and handles very well. It also has LEDs all round, a monoshock rear, USD front forks, 6 speed box and a trellis frame - not too shabby for $1500US.

I bought the Classic because I love the look, it's not a daily ride. I just putter around on it because it puts a smile on my dial every time I ride it. If I want fast and furious, I take the Aprilia out for a spin

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not my main transportation, for sure, nor would I want it to be, but for around town and fun riding around the country roads on a Sunday afternoon, it is a hoot
The aesthetics and what you said are the exact reasons why I bought mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts