Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking at finding a fixer upper. And one reason I want to get back into riding a bike is sort of remembering my Great Grandpa who was a really nice guy and I have fond memories. And sometimes I feel like it would be super cool to find the same bike he had to restore. It was a Suzuki B100.

BUT, of course it's a 2 stroke. The consensus from a few friends I trust are to stay away from 2 strokes cuz theyre so smoky and dirty. Obviously 2 strokes were very prevalent for a long time, especially in motocross and there must be some value to them.

I hear they are simple to work on but you sort of need to know what you're doing. All of my experience is with 4 strokes.

The upside to doing a 2 stroke is because the are less desirable to a lot of people, they have less value and it might be able to find one for a song. One guy was giving his older bike away and it even came with a spare frame.... it might have been cuz he was frustrated with it, but I'm not sure. At the time I didn't think it was prudent cuz I know so little about 2 strokes and figured I'd end up with a heap of not knowing what to do with it.

I think I might be open to doing a 2 stroke though.... This year I started wrenching on stuff and I had not in a LONG time. I've been battling lyme disease and I had quit doing the oil and stuff on my cars a long time ago from being fatigued. But this year I started feeling better. And my daughter is interested in mechanical stuff so we started in on projects. We tuned up my John Deere cuz it was running rough. We started cleaning up some bicycles that needed TLC. I took an old lawn mower that wasn't running and got it running again. I got a pressure washer running again.

So I'm thinking I could MAYBE have the skills to possibly do a 2 stroke. I do have a friend that was an avid motorcross rider and I'm sure he could give me some tips. .

But I just wanted to get input from anyone who rides motorcycles. Is this a bad idea or no? Is it harder than a 4 stroke to take care of them and get them running again because of how dirty they run? Are they illegal? I don't even know if my state would license a 2 stroke. I think it does because I saw one at the gas station last year. (Wisconsin).

Thanks for you help guys.

My Great Grandpa and a cousin of mine:

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
The gas tank on the bike in the photograph reminds me of my first "real" motorcycle, a 175 Bridgestone. It was a two stroke, it kept fouling the spark plugs. One day I was cleaning the plugs, again, and dad was changing the spark plugs on his truck. He was throwing his old spark plugs on the ground and I picked one up and looked at it. It had the same threads as the motorcycle plug, so I cleaned a couple of them and screwed them in.

What a difference! It took 3 or 4 times longer to foul one of those plugs than it did the idontremember plugs I had been using. I was a bit worried about burning a hole in a piston but it never happened.

Anyhow, good luck with your project!

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
Once I figured out the mixture of oil to gas and got it enriched enough to not to burn a hole in the Piston, I enjoyed my smoker. The learning curve was steep for me but I put 100k on a DT125 when I was done "learning" my mixtures and ratios it was closer to a DT400. Looking back I could have saved myself a lot of aggravation with knowing exhaust / cumbustion temps and how to look at plugs to read them etc. But so simple of a design hard to beat.

Reactions: ketchboy

·
Registered
781 Posts
DT400. I sold mine last year, Aphro. What a great bike! Never really gave me any trouble. But, I needed the room in the garage, and a trusted friend wanted it. It's still being exercised and loved.

Ok. As far as working on 2 strokes, they are a lot easier than 4 bangers. If they're not abused, all you really have to worry about is fouled plugs. And even that can be fixed with the proper air, gas, oil mixture. I have two 'smokers' in the garage now. A non running Vespa Rally, and a Vespa Moped. Like the DT400, the Moped does not smoke. Maybe when you first fire it up, but after it's warm, it doesn't smoke. That's if it's tuned correctly.

Go for it GBB. It will be a great project for you and your Daughter.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,328 Posts
Anyone who fouls plugs all the time on a 2 stroke bike is doing something terribly wrong:surprise:

I've had Sooooo many 2 stroke street, desert and track bikes and I can't really ever remember fouling a plug EVER. The right 2 stroke oil MUST be used--believe me, common automotive oils will foul the ring lands on the piston, cause seizures and of course plug fouling and possibly or likely ruin the cylinder(s):surprise: I did in fact ruin a piston when I used 'Quaker State' car oil in the oil injection tank of my new 1966 Yamaha YL2C 100cc Enduro bike, when I was in the service:crying:

As was said, learning to read a spark plug is mandatory as is using the correct heat range plugs. NGK 7 for normal, around town, non extreme high speed running and #8 for high speeds. The correct ratio of oil to gas is imperative as is a clean air filter, since a clogged one will let less air in and the mixture will be rich.:wink2:

My first 2 stroke bike was a 250cc PUCH, badged as a 1958 Sears Allstate, with the hard tail rear:surprise: My dad bought it for me to ride on the dirt roads by our home. No autolube and the oil/ gas ratio was stamped on an oil measuring cup that was screwed to the bottom of the gas cap.:grin:

I would love to have a new Yamaha DT400 right now:grin::grin::grin:

Sam:smile_big:

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Two strokes are more expensive than an equivalent four stroke in my area.

They're smoky, dirty, and smelly but I actually prefer it like that.

Two stroke power delivery is absolutely silly as well. A two stroke 250cc will easily wheelie or throw you to the ground if you let it.

Aside from the added complexity of oil injection or premix, they're about the same to work on as a four stroke from the same era. Not much to go wrong, not hard to get running.

I've purchased all my two strokes from people in Wisconsin. The state doesn't have any issues giving you a plate for them. Of course, local municipalities may ban them so check your local laws. I doubt there's any city in Wisconsin that bans them.

Reactions: FlipFlop and Porky

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I was told a little smoke from a two stroke was better than none so it didn't bother me, (except cleaning plugs). A friend of mine bought a brand new Suzuki GT 380 three cyclinder when they first came out. It was a 2 stroke and it smoked. It bothered him a lot that his brand new motorcycle smoked.

So he kept taking it back to the dealer to get the fuel/oil mixture adjusted. Finally he got it where he wanted it and it didn't smoke. It didn't run very long either, his brand new motorcycle engine was seized up. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, great responses!!! I appreciate it guys and gals. I'm still not convinced I wanna go that route but I think if I keep my mind open to it, it will give me more options. My main reason for having pause is the sound is kind of annoying to me. LOL. But I can wear ear plugs. And yeah, I don't want a bike that is easy to get bucked off for my kids to learn on. But the right one would probably not be an issue.

I just saw a Kawasaki KE100 for sale on FB and it would just be about the ideal size for what I'm looking for. It was pristine so it was more than I have to spend right now but I had not seen that model until then.

Porky, there is one of those PUCH / Sears motorcycles for sale in my area right now. LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts