Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about restoring my dad's 1980 Harley Sportster. Not only will it be my first project but if all goes well it will also be my first bike. What I know needs to happen is bottom line, the gas tank needs cleaned out and then put back on the bike, the battery needs changed, the seat needs put back on it, and for now, the tires can probably be aired back up until I can find new ones. But like I said this is my first project. Any advice on the cleaning of the gas tank and what battery to replace it with would be greatly appreciated. I'm only 15 years old, but again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I'd recommend replacing the tires if they are more than 5-6 years old. Rubber deteriorates over time and a blowout on a motorcycle is very bad news.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
^^^ +1 on the tires.

Deka / Harley batteries are the best made out there. A little cheaper with Deka on them instead of the Harley name.

Cleaning the tank will depend on what kind of shape it's in, whether it's full of rust or just dirt, varnish, and gunk. I take them to a radiator shop here and pay them to steam them out, but that's a bit expensive on a 15 year old's income.

You'll also probably have to clean out the carburetor.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I'd go get you a bike to ride, even a scooter, and make the HD a project you can take your time on.

Daylight (summer) is burning! Get out and ride!

Find someone who'll rebuild the carbs for you after you pull them and order the kits from BikeBandit.com. Don't try and master carb rebuilding yourself until you've watched someone ELSE do it at least once.

+2 on tires. They may LOOK fine but I"m more convinced than ever that sun, age, and ozone causes more tires to delaminate or blow out than premature baldness EVER will.

The tire, that is...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
get yourself an old used 3/8" power drill, and a set of brass wire wheels. Be very careful with them as they will burn the aluminum if they are held in one place too long.

Harleys are harleys so, anything that says Harley on it, or used to say harley on it, should be immaculate, if the chrome is bad, replace it.
The best way to do an old harley that is not in immaculate shape, is to chop rake and windrow it.(yeah alot like spring fever)
other wise, I would consider dear old dad, ask him what he wants, and include him in your bills...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts