Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a completely original 71 CL100 from my grandfather. The bike even has the original tires on it. Plates expired in 78. 2200 miles I know it needs a carb rebuild, battery, and side covers. And of course all general maintenance from sitting for the better part of 35 years. I'm trying to figure out if I will hurt the value if I repaint it or customize it in any way? Opinions welcome!

·
Registered
943 Posts
A quick look at for-sale ads looks like the CL100 is in the same price range as my '67 Dream - about $1500 asking price.

Unless a bike is rare, a full factory-original restoration is going to cost a lot more than you will ever get for selling the bike.

The decision between 'fix' and 'mod' is a personal one. 'Fix' gets you a runnable bike at minimal cost and 'mod' is something you do to turn an old bike into your vision and something you do for fun.

I just finished 'fixing' my '67 Dream and returning it to a roadworthy state - it is now worth about what I paid for it as a package with a second parts bike so there is a little profit to be had in selling the spare parts. The next step is to customize it and I expect $1,000 worth of work to be worth about $500 at resale.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
I think Fix would be the best way to go .. As Dianne said Mod is kind of a choice of your own .. If the Paint is truly faded and in Bad Condition I would consider painting it it's original color trying to keep it looking pretty much the same .. As far as Mods go such as a more Comfortable Seat or Better Suspension that should be fine but would keep the Original Stuff which is what I did with my FXR4 and had it all to sell with the Bike when the time came .. Although doubt I would sell a Bike that came from a family member, even if it was just to pass along farther down the line have already talked to my Son and Grandson and they plan on keeping my 1st Run Scout #673 in the Family ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll tear it down and paint it factory colors. I'm in the process of getting it running again and everything seems to be in pretty good shape. Most of the rubber needs to be replaced from sitting and the carb needs rebuilt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I look for a older bike I look for something that is original with patina. I find its history more interesting than a restoration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts