Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just recently bought an 89 Honda Gold Wing GL1000 from a buddy of mine, as he needed it gone fast. It's been sitting in his garage for at least 2 years, probably longer. The gas tank and brake system were empty, had some oil in it, and the battery is completely shot. According to the previous owner, it ran with no problems before it was left to sit.

I have the owner's and shop manual, a spare engine, replacement key cylinder (do not have original keys for current cylinder), spare lights and controls, 2 extra tires, and a ton of random other parts that I haven't identified. What would you advise for getting it running again? How should I clean out the fluid systems? Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
A lot can go into it - I've owned two older Goldwings, a GL1000 and a GL1100. Great bikes, really a pleasure to ride.

Is the gas tank rusty inside? And did it sit with gas in the tank/carbs? The entire carb assembly can be pulled and broken down on the bench, and if it has had gas in it for the duration of its sitting, it will likely need it. After that an an oil change see if it starts.

Actually, below is a link with a lot of good technical information on older Wings, some of which directly pertains to starting these things after a long layover.

http://www.randakksblog.com/

The categories on the right hand side will take you where you want to go. Incidently, the 1000 ran from 75-79. In 89 I think it was 1200cc then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, thank you for paying attention to the year. I meant 79, hit 89 by accident. Edited to accuracy.

I can see a little bit of rust in the tank, but it was empty when it sat. Thanks very much for the link!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm now seeing that I can't edit my previous post. So, for all future readers:

It's a 1979 Honda GL1000 Gold Wing

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
No problem.. not trying to be nit-picky, just find the correct information.

If it was drained properly when it was put into storage, maybe try to plumb a small test tank into the fuel pump and see if it will start up.. probably want to change the oil first.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just so happens that site has a GL1000-specific guide for getting back up and running after storage. You, sir, have probably saved me weeks of trouble! Thank you so much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts