Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in the process of trying to address some frame rust on a 1982 Honda CM450 Custom that was left out in the weather for a few years after my uncle stopped riding it. I have the rear wheel/suspension assembly and most of the ancillary parts removed from the frame (while the engine and front fork are still attached).

I applied some naval jelly to most of the rust spots and used a small wire brush to remove the leftover residue. I'm wondering how others who have dealt with rust on a restoration have approached this. I am thinking about using this stuff I found called POR 15 to paint over the cleaned up areas. It may not match the existing weathered paint, but it claims to help prevent the corrosion and rust from spreading while covering it up at the same time.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll update this thread when I have a better idea. I ordered the stuff and it should be arriving today. I hope the color match is not too far off. At least it will cover it until I get around to the full restoration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
POR 15 worked out pretty good, although the color match was off. It's not surprising, considering the paint on the frame (black) is 37 years old. Most of the tiny pits and dings are virtually invisible again, but the larger areas of rust were quite visible. Once I get it running and let my uncle know, I'll work on a way to blend the color differences. I'm hoping it's something simple like rubbing compound and elbow grease. Once I'm able to post pics on the site, I'll attach a few before/after pics. The largest coverage site is on the swing arm, it's very apparent in the pics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts