Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This showed up in front of a nearby auto shop a day or so ago. I did an immediate U-turn and got out to look; it was a Sunday morning.

It was neatly blocked in by several other cars.

"LicketySplit" called it a "Penis Car." I nodded, smiled, and thought about how much additional length and girth ownership would convey...

I went back this morning and the shop proprietor said he'd had "at least 150 people" stop in and try to buy it but the seller isn't willing.

...said he'd had offers from $4k to $15K.

I threw my checkbook down on the counter and named a number that caused him to take MY phone # to give to her.

Underneath the grease and dirt, the paint actually isn't bad. It's silver, NOT one of the rare aluminum bodied D-types, etc. Windshield surround is a disaster, interior's a disaster, tires are dry rotted, there's a good $20-40k worth of parts and work there, shredded convertible top, missing trim parts, etc. BUT NO RUST....

This is the big inline 6-cylinder, equipped with triple SU's, capable of 140mph, NOT the jet-turbine-like V-12 put in the very last 1973-4 XKE's worth the REALLY BIG bucks...

What made this car FAST relative to the Corvettes, etc. of the day, was how incredibly LIGHT and AERODYNAMIC it was.

I see the surround where the choke lever is SUPPOSED to be.... interior is filled with junk, I'm sure the "Connolly" leather seats are shredded... carpet rotted...

Everyone sees the "survivor" XKE's on TV auctions going for $100k+, realistically I think this is a $55-$75K car AFTER restoration. More if you did a frame-off rotisserie, I have NO intention of going THAT far. Hell just replacing all the rusted out brake lines, booster, calipers, ...clutch cyclinders.... what a chore THAT will be...

and Lucas wiring....

and exhaust system, front to rear...

I was finishing pumping gas into MY car when the proprietor came out to help a woman at the pumps, we got to chatting about the e-type, he realized I knew a ****load about these cars, what they're REALLY worth, etc.

He said he'd driven it 12 years ago BEFORE it went into the garage, barn, whatever. SUPPOSEDLY now has some sort of engine/block damage BEHIND the water pump, never heard of such a thing.... I'm sure Moss Motors would be MORE than willing to sell me a new (used) block for five large...or more.

Honestly all these old E-types are good for anymore is Sunday drivers and car shows. They're SLOW by today's standards of acceleration.

But man oh man! The view over that hoodline is like nothing you've ever seen. It seems to stretch on into infinity. It's possible there's an "event horizon" somewhere out past the six foot mark, or so I'm told.

I feel this Jag deserves a little more respect and TLC than it's received in the past decade, don't you?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,518 Posts
Yes it does, but you are looking at 50-60k to restore it depending on what the engine needs.

·
Nightfly
3,721 Posts
What I've learned by watching car auctions on television and talking to people who have "invested" thousands to restore their dream car and then being greatly disappointed when they sell, I would never do a restoration unless it is a great passion and money is not the reason for doing it. It's always less expensive to buy one that has been restored.

A friend was looking for a 1966 Chevy Nova with the L79 327/350 engine 4/sp. Found one black on black with a 2 year old restoration. All original except for upgraded disc brakes, a plus, and non-original wheels, for 29K. Couldn't restore one for that money.

Unless you have the passion for that car, I wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Jaguar

I was puttering down the M1 one nice day in June 1971, doing about 90mph on my new 750 Norton, when a white one of those Jaguars went past me. Recalling that the adds said my Norton was good for 120 plus ( big lie ) I made chase. My canary yellow Norton crapped out at 108, and the Jaguar pulled away, never to be seen again.
Jaguar, an over complicated British invention that ran well on a good day.
My 53 Bentley. Basic engineering that ran quite well.

Unkle Crusty

·
Nightfly
3,721 Posts
I was reading a spec sheet on a 71 750 Norton. Said 60 horsepower @ 6800 RPM and top speed of 105. Jag probably good for 130, 140 on a good day. You didn't fair too poorly....

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
That Norton sounds like my 85 Electra Glide. Best it would do was 95mph. I complained that I couldn't get 100mph for the kind of money it cost for that thing. I think it was $85 the dealer said they could install some kind of Screaming Eagle ignition system goody that would make it get 100mph. Sure enough I got 100mph out of it after installation. Not 101 or 102. 100 and that was it. 5mph cost $85. Rather expensive but I was happy. Sorta.:(

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Top speed

I was reading a spec sheet on a 71 750 Norton. Said 60 horsepower @ 6800 RPM and top speed of 105. Jag probably good for 130, 140 on a good day. You didn't fair too poorly....
Yeh, I was toast from the get go. The advertising departments sure had bikes going faster than they really could. Horsepower figures seem to be all over as well. I thought the 750 was around 48 hp but could be wrong on that.
With the speedo showing 108 I was probably doing 105.
My 45 hp XS400 is nudging 90, might go a bit more now that I have the jetting closer to correct. Have too much junk causing drag on the bike, to reach its original speed of about 100. Likely done with a skinny kid in leathers.

Unkle Crusty*

·
On The Road Again!
2,657 Posts
When I was a teenager in the 60s, the XKE was my dream car. I almost bought one, a two year old '67 red convertible. But I talked to my mechanic first. He rattled off a list of outrageous prices for parts and convinced me that I couldn't afford to maintain it if I bought it. He was right of course.
I still pine over "the one that got away".

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was puttering down the M1.. when a white one of those Jaguars went past me. ... I made chase... and the Jaguar pulled away, never to be seen again. Unkle Crusty
A tale like THAT is enough to make me do something stupid.

Fortunately the owner hasn't called.

Thanks for sharing, Crusty. We gotta sit down some day and swap stories. I love riding the West Coast. I'll just have to go a little further north next time. Your background and technical knowledge, l ...only ever run into one or two guys in my lifetime at your level... i appreciate your contributions to this forum, and CORRECTIONS to my technical misunderstandings.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Wade, my brother bought a pale yellow XKE around 1973 from a Doctor. It was the same setup that you described, straight six and 3 side draft carbs. I thought they were Webbers. The Doctor's wife had just passed away. She hated that car and gave him grief when she was alive. After she passed away he felt too guilty to drive it. So, my brother bought it cheap. It was in showroom condition and only a couple of years old. He swung by my house and tossed me the keys. Being so low slung it was a thrill to drive with the top down.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wade, my brother bought a pale yellow XKE ... He swung by my house and tossed me the keys.
Working at a Nissan dealership awhile I saw, and became convinced, the ONLY thing better than sex is being handed a set of keys to a brand new car.

Someone tossing a set pf XKE keys at me earlier in my life, and telling me to take it for a spin, I'd have probably creamed my jeans.

No, wait, I'm not supposed to use foul language, dirty images, etc. in my postings, at least not today...

REWRITE:

Someone throwing XKE keys at me earlier in life, I'd have had tears of joy rolling down my cheeks.

Better???.

·
So long
2,753 Posts

Someone tossing a set pf XKE keys at me earlier in my life, and telling me to take it for a spin, I'd have probably creamed my jeans.

...REWRITE:

Someone throwing XKE keys at me earlier in life, I'd have had tears of joy rolling down my cheeks.

Better???.
How about "I'd have had tears of joy rolling down my legs".

When he sold the Jag he swung by with his 1970 LS5 Corvette and tossed me the keys. Yup, my kid brother was always my hero.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts