Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I drive my Chevy 4x4 pickup other drivers simply don't pull the bull(*it they do when I'm on my bike or driving my little Honda.

Anyone else experiencing this phenomena on a DAILY BASIS?

Whether it's tailgaiting, failure to signal, running yellows, attempting to cut in when there's less than a car length, not taking turns @ merging, whatever, the b.s. really seems to stop with 1/2 ton of jacked up Chevrolet pointed squarely at 'em.

Has it really come down to this on American highways? Drive something BIG or go home -- for good!

·
Registered
467 Posts
In my experience people either treat me like another car, or they give me a little extra room because I'm on a motorcycle. I did have an experience the other day where someone merged into my lane on the freeway without signaling and without proper room, but I'm halfway sure he just didn't see me.

This person obviously just didn't see the biker. And the biker wasn't watching the onramp either. Always watch the onramp.

Edit: I also have to note that most of these seem to be happening in China or Russia. Including the one you're referring to.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I don't experience such, it has to do with overall physical appearance, when you're on your bike they can see you, in the truck they can't.
You probably got beat up in school too.

·
Nightfly
4,421 Posts
I don't experience such, it has to do with overall physical appearance, when you're on your bike they can see you, in the truck they can't.
You probably got beat up in school too.
Thanks for the morning laugh ODE. I believe you may have hit on something. He got a butt whipping too often in school

·
Registered
467 Posts
That's why you wear a full-face helmet and armored gear. It makes us sissies look tough. Like eye spots on butterfly wings.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Wheels

Two vehicles pull into a gas station from opposite directions at the same time. One pump is open. One guy is in a farm truck, one guy is in a Lexus. Who gets the pump?
Two vehicles approach a one way bridge from opposite directions at the same time. One guy is in a Leyland Hippo, the other is in a mini van. Who crosses the bridge first?
Two boats approach from opposite directions. One is a sail boat and has the right of way. The other is a freighter. Who has to change course?

You are on a motorcycle and you have the right of way, and anything changes lanes or pulls out in front of you. Who should be prepared, and or take evasive action?

Have to admit, driving in the city, I often say to Shirley, pity we are not in the farm truck.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
Farm truck
Hippo
Sailboat, freighter has restricted mobility
motorcycle

What do I win?

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Correct

Farm truck
Hippo
Sailboat, freighter has restricted mobility
motorcycle

What do I win?
Correct on all three. A couple of weeks ago during the Swiftsure race, a freighter came around the bottom of Vancouver Island too close to shore, and inside the correct shipping lane. Sail boat called him on the blower and gave him heck. But the sail boat is the one that altered course. I had already altered course about a mile earlier.

Your prize is a weekend on the water.

Island Mike*

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
If you read the 'rules of the road' Sailboat no longer had the right of way.

I watch 'weekend sailors' challenge a freighter doing 14-18 knots in the channel all the time. Then they get all upset when it doesn't alter course and they have to scramble to get out of the way.

·
American Legion Rider
23,691 Posts
Actually the answer to all questions is whoever has most guts. Can they do it again is altogether different.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Lol, there's something to be said for the bad *** biker demanding respect persona.:D We get an edumacation on human nature every time we park our larger bikes and hop on our smaller CC bikes. Everyone from other motorcycles to soccer moms in rusty minivans become tailgating, drafting bullies. Even when we're riding 10 mph over the speed limit. I think it's cute in a cave person, leg humping sort of way.;)
Interestingly, it never happens when we're riding our larger bikes, even if we're riding 10mph under the speed limit.

·
American Legion Rider
23,691 Posts
When I drive my Chevy 4x4 pickup other drivers simply don't pull the bull(*it they do when I'm on my bike or driving my little Honda.

Anyone else experiencing this phenomena on a DAILY BASIS?

Whether it's tailgaiting, failure to signal, running yellows, attempting to cut in when there's less than a car length, not taking turns @ merging, whatever, the b.s. really seems to stop with 1/2 ton of jacked up Chevrolet pointed squarely at 'em.

Has it really come down to this on American highways? Drive something BIG or go home -- for good!
There's no such thing as respect on the road. Respect is something you earn. How do you earn that on the highway? Just because you can buy the biggest and baddest anything does not earn you respect.

Now what a person does on the road or anywhere else to survive is totally different. Go ahead and demand respect and see how far that gets you. Same goes with right of way. Never demand the right of way even if you have it.

Being prepared for the worst will at least allow you to try again. But never demand anything. It won't get you very far.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts