Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Turns out, that an Engineer co-worker, belongs to a MC that is in our State (I believe, if I heard him right, there are two Chapters at this point; the other being in Barkhamsted, NY).

The "Reservoir Dogs Motorcycle Club." Described by this Engineering friend as being a Club of "1%ers."

As we talked about the rebuild of his bike (apparently completely disassembled and strewn about the interior of his house, and "riding" in general, I enjoyed our first talk together about a common love of bikes.

I remember asking him, "what would you say, is the thing that the "Reservoir Dogs Motorcycle Club is best known for?" His answer involved all the various charity work that their Club did, and the collection and dissemination of money for these charities.

Apparently, they used to dress up as Santa Claus as a club, and stand on the streets of their town in intersections, and stop motorists and ask for donations:

Then the town "asked them to stop!" When I inquired "why" he indicated that their "1%er" reputation was the reason.

I dunno..........seem like a fine bunch of fellas to ME, if my Engineering friend is any example of who they are!!

He noted the CMA Colors on my riding jacket, and I was pleased to hear that he remembered seeing members of our CMA Org at various places, because that meant that our group was getting out there, and practicing what it preaches, and that's a good thing. I didn't get the sense that our Org was a problem for him, and that he appreciated the intent of the group, to "be there" for bikers, as needed.

If you are curious, I'll save you the time......here's a link to their website:

http://reservoirdogsmc.com/

There's a pic of the Clubhouse: (Neat profile cuts of a motorcycle on the front of the building! Would LOVE to find out who did those, and ask them to make ME one!! I'd hang it in my LIVING ROOM!! (lol).

-Soupy

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Seems an odd name for a motorcycle club, unless they really want to have a criminal image. If you've seen the movie "Reservoir Dogs" its about a group of bank robbers who meet after an unsuccessful robbery and murder a young police officer, among other things. While the movie was mesmerizing, it left a decidedly unpleasant taste in my mouth, maybe because at the time my youngest son was a rookie cop in a big Midwest city police department. Folks who would choose that name for their club would immediately be labeled in my mind as true low lives.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Yeah, a local BBQ joint here has a letter on the wall thanking them for their "support" of the XXXXXX motorcycle gang. Right. A criminal organization known for their violence. I just haven't remembered to take my electric screwdriver along with me to make it disappear.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Yeah, a local BBQ joint here has a letter on the wall thanking them for their "support" of the XXXXXX motorcycle gang. Right. A criminal organization known for their violence. I just haven't remembered to take my electric screwdriver along with me to make it disappear.
I reckon you believe everyone has the right to think and do as they wish as long as it is cleared with you first.

You don't like the letter, don't go there.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The American Motorcyclist Association had supposedly stated that 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens, implying that the last one percent were outlaws. (there's even a Patch for them).

Some say it is not an accurate Quote.

That said however, I can think of LOTS of times "I" bent the rules of "Law."
Whether or not we are talking about some traffic violation or something more significant, is another topic.

On face value, I deal with every man/woman/boy/girl the same from the beginning. I don't "judge a book by its cover." I have learned that doing that is not only wrong, but often a mis-judgment of the person.

I found it interesting that this co-worker readily defined his Club that way. Perhaps they have that view of themselves that way, as a collective, but I have not met the "collective." Would be fine, if I did. I like the idea of being known as someone who is "there for the other guy." One-Percenter or otherwise.

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
It wasn't a loaded question. I was just curious how you would define a 1%er.

I think a lot of people have very different ideas on what makes a club or person a "1%er." And I think there are far more people that try to give the appearance of being one, then actually are one. Often times that acting influences the public's perception.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It wasn't a loaded question. I was just curious how you would define a 1%er.

I think a lot of people have very different ideas on what makes a club or person a "1%er." And I think there are far more people that try to give the appearance of being one, then actually are one. Often times that acting influences the public's perception.
I'm sure that's true. There are always "wanna be's" in anything. Don't know if that's the case here or not. Just was impressed with the intelligence and friendliness of the Engineer at work, is all. If they ARE truly "1%er's"...........well.........so be it, I guess.

-Soupy

S

·
0 Posts
me and my father both enjoyed many good times with that club there is one in torrington ct and one in clarksburg ma. the club was founded as a sober family club. I can't speak of the new members as when i was around they had not gone 1% yet and the patch was different but the old guys were always good hearted fun loving people (can' t speak for clarksburg were not around yet) from the sounds of the bike parts in the house must be ritt that you were talking to great guy take the shirt off his back for you.Don't let a patch that says mc. or 1% make up your mind about anyone bikers are some of the friendlyst people i've ever had a privlage to meet.

STAY ON TWO WHEELS TILL THEIR PUSHING YOU ON FOUR MY FRIENDS HAVE A GREAT DAY

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
me and my father both enjoyed many good times with that club there is one in torrington ct and one in clarksburg ma. the club was founded as a sober family club. I can't speak of the new members as when i was around they had not gone 1% yet and the patch was different but the old guys were always good hearted fun loving people (can' t speak for clarksburg were not around yet) from the sounds of the bike parts in the house must be ritt that you were talking to great guy take the shirt off his back for you.Don't let a patch that says mc. or 1% make up your mind about anyone bikers are some of the friendlyst people i've ever had a privlage to meet.

STAY ON TWO WHEELS TILL THEIR PUSHING YOU ON FOUR MY FRIENDS HAVE A GREAT DAY
I'm leading a ride to Beavertail lighthouse (RI) on the 22nd from the Middlefield area, so if you're in the area (since you talk about having visited the club in Connecticut) you're welcome to attend and anybody else who would like to come with you. send me a private message for the particulars if you are if you're interested in going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts