Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Can also add an oz or two off atf to the gas per tank at each fill, at least on the oldwings it has been a proven benefit to prevent their carbs from ending up like this since they were made to have leaded gas in them.

Reactions: Miss Mercedes

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Can also add an oz or two off atf to the gas per tank at each fill, at least on the oldwings it has been a proven benefit to prevent their carbs from ending up like this since they were made to have leaded gas in them.
I read somewhere that adding Pennzoil Marine TC-W3 2-cycle outboard engine oil works better than ATF; the recommended rate is 1 ounce per gallon. I just refilled the tank on my CB450 with this in it as an experiment; going for a ride tomorrow, so should burn most of it. I plan to check the plugs after the ride, just to see if it fouls them. I may also drop the float bowls and have a look.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If you're adding anything to your fuel, use a gasoline detergent concentrate like Chevron Techron or Wynns Spitfire.

If you want to add a lubricant, then I'd favour a TC-W3 outboard oil over ATF. ATF is based on paraffinic base oil of very low viscosity which will probably only patially burn, might oil up plugs and give off smoke. TC-W3 outboard oil is usually based on poly iso-butane (PIB) which breaks down at much lower temperatures and is smokeless.

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
MO Maintenance: Clean Your Filthy Carburetors

The article failed to mention using a welding tip cleaning tool to clear the SMALL holes in pilot jets.
Also, at least one of those old Kawasaki carburetors looks toooooo far gone to me. :surprise:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts