Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I’m a retired Navy Corpsman and Monday I’ll start my 13th year teaching high school. I rode bikes of friends growing up and bought one of my own at age twenty. It was a Honda 750 Four with Windjammer III fairing, saddle bags, the whole nine yards. I didn’t keep it very long, transferred a couple times, got married, and had a couple kids who are now grown and out of the house.

I’ve had the itch for awhile to get a bike. I signed up for the basic rider course at the local community college for mid October. After that I’ll start shopping around. I’m thinking about a Honda/Kawi/Yamaha cruiser. My wife said I should wait until spring to buy but I can ride in Northern Virginia for 10 and a half to 11 months. She did say though that if I’m gonna buy, I should buy a Harley. What?

Anyway, this looks like a great motorcycle site. Nice to meet you.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,442 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, or should that be Permission Granted,
and...

Other members do like to know they are welcoming a real person so thanks
for letting us know a little about yourself.:smile: Normally just a few more
posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site will open to you. This is the sites
spambot control. Unfortunately it is needed today. But you have to make 15
posts before you can post pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege
to be able to post pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which somehow
gets around that restriction.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

And I do thankyou very much for being one of the very few that understand
where we have come from and have helped protect us. Thank You Sir !

·
Visionary
5,744 Posts
Welcome and go out and get that bike, there is PLENTY of some of the best riding weather of the year left still in October, the fall is beautiful, cool, dry air and usually less rain. I'm in PA but my daughter lives in Richmond, VA, so i ride down that way frequently, there are some really nice roads in Virginia once you get out of the cities. You can probably ride year round most years if you choose the days wisely, I'm going on 3 years of at least a couple of rides a month all winter and the VA climate is considerably warmer than Pennsylvania, you should easily be able to ride on ice free roads until early December.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Welcome! While your time in the Navy is considered 'service', I think in this day and age, working to shape the minds of high school students might be just as important, so "Thank you!" for both!

You CAN ride here all year. The question is do you really WANT to ride all year? I've found that it isn't the cold that is so bothersome, but the amount of salt they put down, seemingly at every hint of snow. It's a bit of a pain to clean it off the bike after every ride but it can be done!

Looking forward to seeing a few pics of whatever bike you choose!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome! While your time in the Navy is considered 'service', I think in this day and age, working to shape the minds of high school students might be just as important, so "Thank you!" for both!

You CAN ride here all year. The question is do you really WANT to ride all year? I've found that it isn't the cold that is so bothersome, but the amount of salt they put down, seemingly at every hint of snow. It's a bit of a pain to clean it off the bike after every ride but it can be done!

Looking forward to seeing a few pics of whatever bike you choose!
Thanks Doc. I enjoy teaching and feel privileged to have been blessed with two rewarding careers. I came close to stopping at Quantico Harley yesterday on the way home from the base. Great advice about the snow and salt.

Welcome and go out and get that bike, there is PLENTY of some of the best riding weather of the year left still in October, the fall is beautiful, cool, dry air and usually less rain. I'm in PA but my daughter lives in Richmond, VA, so i ride down that way frequently, there are some really nice roads in Virginia once you get out of the cities. You can probably ride year round most years if you choose the days wisely, I'm going on 3 years of at least a couple of rides a month all winter and the VA climate is considerably warmer than Pennsylvania, you should easily be able to ride on ice free roads until early December.
Thanks Mike. I can’t wait to get back in the saddle. It’s been too long. I live just off 95 but you’re right about the nice roads around here. I’m looking forward to the fall weather. We’re in our seventh heat wave of the year.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,905 Posts
Permission granted and welcome aboard doc. You are in a mad house of traffic down by Quantico, get the bike and head west. Some nice roads there. I live between Washington, Annapolis and Baltimore. I tend to ride after 9 am and before 3 pm to avoid traffic.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Welcome from an old Destroyer Sailor and former Western Loudoun resident. I used to ride my bike to work all year round up there. Took my car if it was below 20 or snowing Requires a bit of gear though. :smile: There are some excellent local rides up there through Wine country, Mt. weather (up behind where I lived) and going to or through West Virginia.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome from an old Destroyer Sailor and former Western Loudoun resident. I used to ride my bike to work all year round up there. Took my car if it was below 20 or snowing Requires a bit of gear though. :smile: There are some excellent local rides up there through Wine country, Mt. weather (up behind where I lived) and going to or through West Virginia.
Besides being with the Marines I was stationed on four ships. Two destroyers, one frigate, and an oiler. I love tin cans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ride currently ride a Suzuki C50. Both the C50 and M50 would be pretty good choices for a first bike, in my opinion.

Not to big and not so small that you'll outgrow it too quickly. Fairly popular bike makes for LOTS of used ones for sale and tons of aftermarket.

Liquid cooled. Shaft drive. 2005 and newer are fuel injected.

You can typically find a nice used one for less than $2500 and get a decent return if you want something bigger after you ride awhile.

Personally I would buy used because it hurts less if you make a mistake.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The big question you have to ask yourself Doc, is what kind of riding do you want to do. Long distance touring? Cruising on the back roads? Day trips of a couple hundred miles? Racing thru the 'twisties' like the Dragon? Or just riding around your area. Like 50 miles or less. Will you be riding solo? Or will your wife go with you. The type of riding you want to do will determine what type of bike you want.
Harley Davidson is a fine motorcycle, as most bikes are these days. It all boils down to what type of riding you want to do.

And welcome to the forum, from one vet to another.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Wgttgw and @ketchboy thanks for the tips. I literally just got done clicking around looking for used bikes.

I want to ride it to work 25 miles up 95 or Route One. Will do short weekend rides thinking probably solo until I gain experience and confidence. Thinking maybe a cruiser then trade up to a two seater of some sort.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Ok. One problem solved. Cruiser. Light, Medium, or Heavy cruiser. It it's day, the CB750 you rode was considered a Medium cruiser, I believe. I rode the same bike for years. It was great for around town, short hops, and long distance, if it was set up right. So let's say you want a medium cruiser. Now you want to think about engine size. Personally, I wouldn't go any less than a 750cc bike. They are docile enough around town, yet can handle trips without any strain. Plus, you won't get tired of it within a year. Next up? What year are you considering?

It may seem overwhelming, but you have plenty of help here. Oldvet66, Offcenter, Critter, Uncle Crusty and others, have years of experience and will be more than willing to answer any questions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.