Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you guys also own cars? How many of you strictly ride only motorcycles? It makes sense financially to trade my car for some $ and a motorcycle. Everything from MPG (on a small scooter) to Insurance is far cheaper. I'm unmarried, working 2 jobs, attending college, and hoping to save money for the future.

Other than storage, safety, and passenger capacity, is there anything else I should look out for before replacing my car?

OBAnimal

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I love your enthusiasm OBA :)

I don't really know about scooters specifically, but l can tell you that motorcycling in general is not cheaper than driving a car. Gas is cheaper. Everything else is more expensive. You have to give it more routine maintenance, tires only last a few thousand miles as opposed to 50,000, and you need to spend some decent money to buy decent gear. As far as insurance being cheaper, that is kind of a myth. Yes, if you buy equal insurance for a bike or a car, the bike insurance is cheaper. However, l believe that you need more insurance on a bike, especially for things like uninsured motorist and medical liability. If some jerk wipes you out and runs off and gets away with it, or isn't insured, chances are your doctor bills are going to be huge. So to insure yourself on a motorcycle is closer to life insurance than it is to automobile insurance in my opinion.

All that being said, if l had to choose between one or the other...l would own a bike. In fact, we just had one car and the bike for several months until l bought my pickup in December. Riding is something that l love and don't want to be without. Additionally, my situation is a bit different than most. I have to pay significantly to park a car at work, where l can park my bike for free. This saves me about $800-$1000 a year, which basically buys the bike over time.

Please don't take this as discouragement. Just know that it probably doesn't save you a ton of money in the long run. But we don't feel the need to justify it financially. We ride because we love it :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gas is cheaper. Everything else is more expensive...
..We ride because we love it :)
Always grateful for your responses, hawkaholic37. The clarification about the insurance myth is shocking. Maintenance shouldn't be as rough on a scooter as a bike(?). One day I won't worry about finances as I do in the present. As for now, the option of living without a car in LA is still up in the air. ..The parking though...

OBAnimal

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
The insurance on my little Toyota pickup is about $47 a month (granted it is 20 years old with no bells or whistles). The insurance on my bike is about $73 a month. A scooter, l would guess, will be cheaper for some things, but the uninsured motorist and medical coverage will likely be the same regardless of what you are on. To give you an idea, my insurance would have been less than $30 a month without those two things.

If you have other things to consider, definitely throw them into the mix. How often do you have to pay to park? What is your commute distance? My bike gets 45 mpg, but l know some scooters get upwards of 70.

Not trying to scare you off at all, just being realistic. A lot of people say they will get a scoot to save money but they end up either costing them a lot more than they thought, or they neglect things to stay cheap. The number one thing l see scooter riders not doing is buying the proper gear. They buy a cheap helmet, half the time they don't even tighten down the chin strap, and jump on it in their work clothes and away they go. Gear is a necessary investment, especially for a new rider. I have over $1000 in my daily riding gear. You can get decent gear for half that; l spent a LOT on my helmet. In any case, it isn't something that should be taken lightly IMO.

If you haven't already done so, l would wander over to the scooter forum and start asking questions about scooters and their costs, maintenance, etc. Wadenelson is kind of the leader of the scooter world around here. He is a bit rough around the edges but knows what he is talking about :)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,503 Posts
Something about those snowy days that make having a car or even better a 4x4 seem like the way to go.

·
American Legion Rider
18,626 Posts
Do you guys also own cars? How many of you strictly ride only motorcycles? It makes sense financially to trade my car for some $ and a motorcycle. Everything from MPG (on a small scooter) to Insurance is far cheaper. I'm unmarried, working 2 jobs, attending college, and hoping to save money for the future.

Other than storage, safety, and passenger capacity, is there anything else I should look out for before replacing my car?

OBAnimal
In Cali not really any reason not to. Although if the flood gates open and you actually get rain you may lose a day or two with floods. Even though I had a pickup when I was out there, I rode every single day.

Rain, fog or sunny. Even a little snow a couple times. The only time I couldn't was during one rainy season in the 80's I think when it flooded the roads. Took the truck to work and had to take it easy with it.

My bikes have all had saddle bags and a tote. Anymore needed was with a backpack. It can be done but maybe I was just too stupid to know it couldn't be done. That was 25 years worth that I was out there.

One thing I'd suggest though. Take that saved money and put in a savings account or invest it. Don't just blow it. You may actually need it some day.

Get a good bike too. Modern bikes are nearly like cars now anyway. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. Learned a lot. I think I've lost some skills since retiring and not riding daily even. A certain woman says it..."it's a good thing". Almost ashamed I know who says that.

·
American Legion Rider
18,626 Posts
Not near as many as some. I'm presently in the 300k area. There are some well past that and one I heard about not too long ago with 1 million. But it really isn't how many. It's how well you do every single time out there. You can make a mistake right after you leave your parking spot.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Not near as many as some. I'm presently in the 300k area. There are some well past that and one I heard about not too long ago with 1 million. But it really isn't how many. It's how well you do every single time out there. You can make a mistake right after you leave your parking spot.
Still, that's a lot of great experience!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My bikes have all had saddle bags and a tote. Anymore needed was with a backpack....

...One thing I'd suggest though. Take that saved money and put in a savings account or invest it. Don't just blow it. You may actually need it some day.
Yes and yes. Looks like I'll have many role models on this forum. Took a few business courses and learned about the importance of investments.

OBAnimal

·
Registered
216 Posts
There was a time when I only had a bike. It didn't take long before the fun factor was long gone. Riding in the rain, trying to bring home groceries, etc, just became a real drag. If I could only have one, it would be a car. Then in the future, when you are able, add a bike for fun and self therapy. Plus, it seems every day on the traffic reports here in Lost Angeles, I hear of a motorcycle going down. Commuting on a bike has extra risks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...Riding in the rain, trying to bring home groceries, etc, just became a real drag...Then in the future, when you are able, add a bike for fun and self therapy...Commuting on a bike has extra risks.
Buddy Shagmore, thanks for sharing your experiences. I wonder if there is any way to overcome the lack of storage and shelter. Perhaps there is no real way to hide from the rain, but adding a sidecar would hold a friend, who could hold all my groceries!

OBAnimal

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
One of the reasons why l thought you could pull it off is the fact that you are a college kid. When you settle down and have a family, things are different. Even when l just had a bike, my GF had a car. I should have said that.

There is a way to overcome the lack of storage...buy a touring bike, or at least put some saddle bags on it. I bet you could put small saddle bags on a scooter even

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I have 3 cars and 2 motorcycles. All running, plated and insured. That said, I spend 99% of my time on the motorcycles March/April through November/December. Rain or shine. The only time I'm in the car during this time is because I'm carrying something larger than what I can carry on a bike. Now that makes me wonder why I need 3 cars...

·
American Legion Rider
18,626 Posts
Yeah Sigma, a lot easier keeping 2 running rather than 5. I have trouble with a bike, ATV, truck and tractor. All have a specific job but it's a job keeping them all in running order. Having just 1 more of any of them would be foolish on my part. But I really do want 1 more.:thumbsdown:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts