Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am replacing my handlebar and I am having trouble putting the kill switch/starter case that goes over the throttle on. I can not get the case to fully close together and hoping someone can tell me what i am doing wrong.

I am replacing it with the OEM handlebars so i know the old and the new is the same.

Heres some pictures to help understand my situation

THANK YOU for any help!

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Put it together

I am going to guess it is the throttle cable, and the way you have assembled it.
Study how it turns in one half first, the bit with the knob on it that holds the cable. Once you have done that add the other half. The pieces should go flush together, and you should be able to twist the throttle, without it being on the bar. Having done that, it should slide onto the bar, if there is enough length in the cable.
Hope it works. Trying to fix things online is always exciting.

Unkle Crusty*

C

·
0 Posts
When I added chrome switch housings to my Honda Shadow I had the same issue. As Uncle Crusty already said, it may be the throttle cable. I had to redo it a few times till I got it right. Be sure though before screwing the switch housing together and taking a ride that the throttle works freely and does not feel sticky. If it feels the least bit sticky, keep working on it for your own safety.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I had one that had a guide hole in the handlebar and a peg on the switch housing that had to sit inside the hole to line up. I think it was a Suzuki if I remember right.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to guess it is the throttle cable, and the way you have assembled it.
Study how it turns in one half first, the bit with the knob on it that holds the cable. Once you have done that add the other half. The pieces should go flush together, and you should be able to twist the throttle, without it being on the bar. Having done that, it should slide onto the bar, if there is enough length in the cable.
Hope it works. Trying to fix things online is always exciting.

Unkle Crusty*
No luck, i can't even it smooth even without the cables and grip assembled and no luck with sliding it on.

Thanks though

When I added chrome switch housings to my Honda Shadow I had the same issue. As Uncle Crusty already said, it may be the throttle cable. I had to redo it a few times till I got it right. Be sure though before screwing the switch housing together and taking a ride that the throttle works freely and does not feel sticky. If it feels the least bit sticky, keep working on it for your own safety.
I keep that in mind! Thats one thing i diffidently don't want to happen

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had one that had a guide hole in the handlebar and a peg on the switch housing that had to sit inside the hole to line up. I think it was a Suzuki if I remember right.
OOOO There is a hole around that area, I will diffidently be taking a closer eye at that

Thank you

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
This was my guess as well. If the guide is not lined up with the hole in the handlebar, the case won't close all the way. This keeps everything in the right position both laterally and vertically.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts