Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that my bike was moving forward in first gear while I had the clutch pulled all the way in. On further inspection, I noticed that my clutch cable is frayed right next to the clutch handle. I have ordered the clutch cable but would prefer not to have the dealership install it, as I know I will get screwed on the price. My question is how hard is it to install a new cable, and also how do I go about doing it. :confused:

·
Registered
228 Posts
hello, If you are at all handy with tools, this is something you can do.
if you want me to elaborate send me a PM.
stein

·
Registered
228 Posts
i did not get your PM. What was your question?
about your clutch, you may be able to adjust your cable before you think of replacement.
If you have any quetions hit me back, more than glad to help.
stein

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No adjusting will help, the clutch cable is frayed right at the handgrip, it has to be replaced, ive just heard it was very difficult once you got to the box where it connects to the clutch, is there a trick to it or is it a pretty simple swap out?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have not done it on that bike so i am not sure how it is setup.
Do you have a manual?
I would give it a go before I would pay the dealer.
What is hard for some, is not so hard for others.
Good luck, and let me know if I can help.
stein

·
Registered
13 Posts
I noticed today that my bike was moving forward in first gear while I had the clutch pulled all the way in. On further inspection, I noticed that my clutch cable is frayed right next to the clutch handle. I have ordered the clutch cable but would prefer not to have the dealership install it, as I know I will get screwed on the price. My question is how hard is it to install a new cable, and also how do I go about doing it. :confused:
I just replaced my clutch cable on my 82 gs450 the other day. First you need to loosen the locking nut on the clutch handle and then screw in the other part until the cable is loose enough to take off. next take off the side cover of the trany. should be 5 or so 10mm bolts. Then loosen the lock nut on the bottom half of the cable and then remove. once you remove the side cover you can see were the cable connects to the clutch pressure plate. to install do the oposite. adjust your clutch cable so their is 4mm give in the handle. Thats what the manual said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts