Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda 250 Rebel- around the rear/top motor mount- very small oil leak, can see the crack on the outside easily and also on the inside of the head when I removed the valve cover. I'd like to seal that crack INSIDE- would RTV, JBWeld, Epoxy be the best? I know, welding is best!

·
Ace Tuner
3,483 Posts
Honda 250 Rebel- around the rear/top motor mount- very small oil leak, can see the crack on the outside easily and also on the inside of the head when I removed the valve cover. I'd like to seal that crack INSIDE- would RTV, JBWeld, Epoxy be the best? I know, welding is best!
Don't use RTV. It will break loose and could plug oil passages.
Oil and heat might attack Epoxy.
I once knew a guy that repaired an aluminum intake manifold on a car engine with JBWeld.
One thing about JBW, ALL oil needs to be removed from the work surface before application.
Who knows, it might work.

·
American Legion Rider
25,892 Posts
Who's our metal guy these days? We lost a really good one in Metaldoc. Have no idea what happened to him. But if it's steel I'd braze it. I've never worked with aluminum but know it melts rather easy but is there a braze type option for that stuff? JBWeld will not work if there is the tiniest bit of oil as has been mentioned. But basically, surface preparation is key to any fix. So take your best shot. If not a high pressure leak epoxy or JBWeld might work. But I just like conventional metal fixes. Where oh where is our new metal expert? He needs to chime in here.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Seen JB Weld do some great things as long as the area has been cleaned and prepped properly as mentioned any oil or dirt it won't fly .. Not sure if this area referring to has much pressure , if it does might still be worth a try but wouldn't count on it ..

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I've seen JB Weld and Quick Steel fix car engines before. Heck, some guy on YouTube built an entire head from JB Weld. But as said, you have to prep the area extremely well. Contaminants like oil will make your life a pain in the buttox!

Reactions: GatorJoe
1 - 5 of 5 Posts