Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone this is my first time posting here.

I'm looking for a little advise or pointers that would

help me removing the packing from my current exzuast.

I current have a 2012 Yamaha R1 with dual carbon fiber arrow slip-ons.

Any help or pointers is very welcomed.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
I removed the baffles and packing from the factory exhaust on my 4th generation Triumph Thunderbird in 2015. I used a metal cutting hole saw bit to cut around the outer rear center baffle at the rear of each exhaust can, I then removed the baffles and packing. After that I used a 12" x 7/8" bit inserted into the front clamped end of each can and drilled out the cat that was about 8" in from the front of the cans, I then used a reaming bit to take it to 1". This was on a triple cylinder motor. I was able to get away with it without re-jetting because it was a carbureted bike, and I didn't go any larger than 1" inside the cans. If I went any larger, I would have no doubt had to re-jet the carbs.

You on the other hand have a couple of issues. You would be cutting the baffles out by cutting around the outer surface of the baffles at the rear and cutting thru carbon fiber, I have no idea how that carbon fiber cut edge would turn out. A hole saw bit requires a center drill bit attached to keep the hole saw bit centered and from wobbling all over the place. I did this by hammering a wood dowel rod in the end of each can for the centering drill bit to have something to drill into (there's nothing there but open exhaust port). The 2nd issue is that your bike is fuel injected, you will most likely need to have your bike re-mapped to account for the new less restricted exhausts. Below is a video of how the thunderbirds sound had changed to a more throater growl and a much deeper tone.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
I've had to repack my aftermarket exhaust. My old two brothers exhaust required drilling out the rivets from one end or the other and separating (pulling apart) the inner core from the outside cover. It was a bit of a pain as it's hard to hold the round can steady so you can drill out the rivets (I made a wood jig). I then used a rubber mallet to loosen the fit and pull it apart. Here's a video I found.

 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top