Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1973 Honda cb 350g and the engine wont turn over. I have tried soaking the engine with diesel fuel trying to loosen it up, but it hasn't worked. Is there a way to get the engine apart with out taking it off the frame. There are 8 studs that go through the engine and I wasnt sure if those could be unscrewed or not. I got the cylinder head cover off, but that all that I can squeze out of there. Is there a way to get the cylinder head off so I can get to the pistons?

·
Jack of all Trades, Master of None
217 Posts
Nope. I've got my engine out right now. The 350 frames won't allow for removing the top end in the bike.

There's 4 other bolts to remove besides the one that bolts to the top of the motor. 2 of them are on the front, bottom corner and the other 2 are at the rear of the motor, near the top of the crankcase.

You'll have to remove the carbs, exhaust, footpegs, shifter lever/clutch cover [unless you unhook the clutch cable], rear brake pedal/lever, and unhook the starter cable from the solenoid or the starter.

The motor will only pull out of the right side. Look at the bike frame itself- one side is lower than the other, and that's the side it comes out.

I can provide you with pictures if you need them.

I believe that's all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, sounds fun. I have the carbs, exhaust, and shifter off. I will deffinitly have to take the engine out. I took out 3 of those bolts, to try to drop the front end of the engine, but that didnt work at planned. So now im waiting on a little help to get the engine out, I really don't want to drop it on the concrete. The bike was free, and Im kinda discovering more and more wrong with it, but its something to do.

·
Jack of all Trades, Master of None
217 Posts
Yes, a second set of hands is most useful when pulling the motor. I've done it on my own before but it's much easier with 2 people.

I also want to tell you that removing the rear brake lever is a PITA, if you haven't already figured that out. A pair of needle nose that are bent at a 90 or 45 degree angle work really well for removing the hair pin on the back side of the pin attaching the rod to the lever; and for reinstalling it, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts