Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
18,620 Posts
Good example of how you vanish at a stop light but the same thing happens going down the road. Your one headlight gets right in line with the car behind you making you invisible. I make big zig zaggy swerves at intersections for that very reason. So I break away from the headlights behind me. Looks like I'm drunk but I don't care. That's two reasons they might see and avoid me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Great example. I pretty much make the assumption that every driver out there is an idiot. In most instances, Im right.

·
American Legion Rider
18,620 Posts
Well of course with all the "Potheads" down there.:p

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'll flash the high beams sometimes.

Around here a bike weaving and wiggling around is just begging to be stopped by the cops.
I never ride quite that drunk EYE. When you see me weaving it is because I have noted the local traffic patterns and have decided to use the smidzy approach. If I get stopped by the local gensdarmes, so be it. Is there a rule against making sure you are seen by cages? I would bet not. If that happens I will be happy to appear in court and defend my actions. I will not be happy to be involved in a crash just to fit local prejudices.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I don't ride drunk, nor do I drink at all when riding, or driving. But lots of people do, and I live in an area with lots of motorcycles and lots of biker bars, and even though I ride sober I'd really rather not be stopped and hassled by the cops as I have better things to be doing.

Flashing the hi-beams seems to be about as effective as weaving back and forth, it takes less effort, and it doesn't confuse anyone else that might happen to be riding behind me. Around here it doesn't draw the cops' attention as much, especially if I'm leaving a biker bar or just happen to be riding near one.

And yes, I do enjoy bar-hopping as well as riding. (The Roadside Tavern has the best sweat tea with free refills.)

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
this is one of the things I really like about my bike having the driving lights, it's kind of hard to lose me in a headlight like that with 2 smaller lights just outside of the headlight

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'll flash the high beams sometimes.

Around here a bike weaving and wiggling around is just begging to be stopped by the cops.
In the SMIDSY video they recommend to weave and wiggle, police should know that. I was stopped by police when I was passing some cars on the right, because they wouldn't let me pass on the left, then the officer said "why didn't you try to make yourself more visible by weaving?" Then he said "next time, don't pass a car on the right when there's a police car right behind you". I hadn't seen them because I was too busy watching those ridiculous cars that were sticking to the left of the freeway at relatively low speed.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
<admits to having to look at that picture a second time, to see the biker (lol).

Great illustration!!

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,620 Posts
I don't ride drunk, nor do I drink at all when riding, or driving. But lots of people do, and I live in an area with lots of motorcycles and lots of biker bars, and even though I ride sober I'd really rather not be stopped and hassled by the cops as I have better things to be doing.

Flashing the hi-beams seems to be about as effective as weaving back and forth, it takes less effort, and it doesn't confuse anyone else that might happen to be riding behind me. Around here it doesn't draw the cops' attention as much, especially if I'm leaving a biker bar or just happen to be riding near one.

And yes, I do enjoy bar-hopping as well as riding. (The Roadside Tavern has the best sweat tea with free refills.)
Don't do that around here. That is a signal to the approaching driver of one of two things. At intersections it means go ahead and pull out or make your turn. On the highway it means there is a cop just ahead of you. Yes, I wish signals all meant the same thing but I guess that's the problem with people from different areas moving everywhere. What means something one place doesn't mean that in another. So be careful with this light flashing thing. You may get a big surprise.

EDIT: Shucks! I just remembered something else. It could mean one of three things. The third being that if you do it to a drive in front of you, it means you are going to pass him. I just don't use my hi-beams fo anything. Safer that the interpretations someone might make of it.:thumbsup:

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
"In the SMIDSY video they recommend to weave and wiggle, police should know that."

I think the Daytona Beach cops were watching the "how to spot a drunk driver" video and missed the smidsy video. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
535 Posts
"In the SMIDSY video they recommend to weave and wiggle, police should know that."

I think the Daytona Beach cops were watching the "how to spot a drunk driver" video and missed the smidsy video. :icon_cool:
I will not ride in Daytona Beach, then. When traffic is slower than I want it to be, I get bored and I start to wiggle and weave, just for fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My bike died while I was riding it on the highway. I have a suzuki gs500f. It kind of puttered once then completely shut down like it lost power. I tried to turn it back on but kept hearing a clicking noise, that is why I think it has to do with the battery. To make sure it wasn't the charging system I charged the battery then started the bike up and disconnected the negative cable and the bike continued to run leading me to believe it isn't the charging system. The battery is only 2 months old, do I just have a bad battery or what?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The picture is a great example.

As for drinking and riding, well that is just plane nuts. We have a few biker bars in my area. Since they are in a remote area many of the flat land riders like riding in the Sierra Mountains. Almost 100 percent of the cruiser riders that have accidents are DUI. Some aren't legally drunk, but many are.

It has given bikers in our area a real black eye. I'm on the volunteer fire department so I have seen some of the accidents first hand. One of the cops up here said he cared less about a sport bike doing 140 than a DUI cruiser rider.

I asked him if that was because he couldn't catch the sport bike, he didn't answer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Good example of how you vanish at a stop light but the same thing happens going down the road. Your one headlight gets right in line with the car behind you making you invisible. I make big zig zaggy swerves at intersections for that very reason. So I break away from the headlights behind me. Looks like I'm drunk but I don't care. That's two reasons they might see and avoid me.
I did this coming up to an intersection that ended up turning yellow and the guy next to me at the stop light let me know that was what causes accidents.

I let him know smoking causes earlier deaths, with the same tone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts