Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember this? I used it all last Winter for elevated storage, and a few different times during last Summer and this Summer for maintenance of the bike. Works great........does its job.........good price..........

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Most critical thing about a good Bike Jack is it being able to lock it into position once desired height is reached and releasing the Pressure .. My J&S does this well .. Had it 5 Years now and works like new ..

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I DID wonder if the weight of my HD might exceed the capacity limits of this particular lift I bought. Turns out it's fine for the HD:

Shadow Weight.....504 lbs.
Harley Weight.....676 lbs.
Lift Spec........ 1100 lbs capacity

-Soupy

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
Where ae your tie downs Joe?

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It really kinda depends on what you are doing to your bike on the lift, as to whether or not "tie downs" are necessary.

I suppose that someone will chime in now, and say that "any" time a bike is on a lift, it SHOULD have tie downs in place, and I agree in principle.

But I consider that perspective akin to saying that "all bikers SHOULD wear a helmet," but........how many DO?!

-Soupy

·
14,300 Posts
WHAT! You don't want everything to go over as one piece. I bet you guys don't even check your tire pressure every time you stop.

My lift actually has loops for the safety straps. First time I used the lift the bike was hot and I ruined a strap on my exhaust. Not to mention I had to clean all that melted nylon/plastic off the pipe. It was the last time I used them. Does that make me a bad person?

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
I only strap it down if I'm removing a wheel, and don't want the bike to rock fore and aft while I do it. The straps don't do much, but will keep the bike from sliding if I have to get aggressive. Most reasons for lifting, no, it doesn't much matter if you use straps.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Most of the time I don't strap to the lift. I use the chock to hold the front wheel and a stand to hold the swingarm. It's very stable. Removing a wheel or the forks gets the straps.

Sent from my Z667G using Tapatalk

·
14,300 Posts
Big weight swing removing a wheel

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Yep. Scary if you aren't prepared to see the bike move that much. Been there done that.:D

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Actually Straps can be used on the J&S and Have done it if planning on doing any serious wrenching.. But if check the J&S Video on their website will see Straps are really not needed unless going to do some serious Torque Work ..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts