Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all us noobs didnt have a dad or brother with a motorcycle sooooo we dont know jack **** about obtaining your registration and insurance

Do you need to have insurance (Florida)
To ride?
I hear you only need registration
Please clear the air

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey NewRider2019,

Ok, I'm going to talk to you as a fellow rider and also as a Mom.
It makes no difference whether your state requires insurance.
You most certainly should have it.
Riding without insurance is a gamble that can potentially compromise your entire future.
Hurting yourself or others can burden you with medical bills for the rest of your life.
Have liability on your bike and medical coverage for yourself.

Remember, riding is supposed to be fun. Don't turn it into a nightmare.
Welcome aboard.

·
Visionary
2,839 Posts
I agree with Nancy too, liability insurance on a motorcycle is not expensive, but it could get very expensive if you don't have it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Very few states don't require insurance. I'm 99 44/100 % sure that Florida is not one of them. I know in Georgia we are required to have insurance, but not required to carry proof of insurance. As all that information is stored in a data base that the authorities have access to when ever they run a check on your tag/vin#.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's as easy as picking up a phone or stopping in to your local DMV to find out a real, accurate legal answer to your question. But as a sensible and responsible person -- you are that, aren't you? -- the answer is yes, you need it.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,846 Posts
Just for the Record as a Florida for 70 years.. No Insurance is required on Motorcycles but to ride without it is a potential for Disaster .. By Legal Law you can't ride without a Helmet unless have at least $10,000 Medical Insurance but is not enforced that hard ..

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
There is more than one type of insurance to consider. As a minimum, you need liability insurance to cover the cost of damage that you cause, such as crashing into the rear end of that new Tesla and finding you owe the owner about $60K or more. You also need insurance for your bike, i.e., collision and comprehensive unless you are willing to take the chance that if you damage your bike or it is stolen, or burned up, etc., you will have exactly nothing. If you are financing your bike you will probably be required by the lender to have full coverage on the bike. And finally, having medical coverage is critical, unless you have other medical insurance that will cover you in the event of a motorcycle accident. Twenty years ago I had a minor mechanical malfunction cause my bike to go down. My collision coverage reimbursed me in full for the value of the totaled bike. In the accident I broke some ribs, and suffered a punctured lung. In the course of having my lung cared for, I developed a severe infection which almost killed me. I went through a 9 hour surgery (a thoracotomy) and spent 31 days in intensive care in the hospital, followed by extensive post hospital care. My medical bills totaled over $350,000, and that was 20 years ago. If I had not had good medical insurance, I would have likely been in debt for the rest of my life to repay the cost of this incident alone. Get the coverage. Its worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good one Nancy(y)

Same day I got my motorcycle i got my insurance regardless if it required or not. However, here in CA it is required to carry Auto or Motorcycle Liability insurance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is more than one type of insurance to consider. As a minimum, you need liability insurance to cover the cost of damage that you cause, such as crashing into the rear end of that new Tesla and finding you owe the owner about $60K or more. You also need insurance for your bike, i.e., collision and comprehensive unless you are willing to take the chance that if you damage your bike or it is stolen, or burned up, etc., you will have exactly nothing. If you are financing your bike you will probably be required by the lender to have full coverage on the bike. And finally, having medical coverage is critical, unless you have other medical insurance that will cover you in the event of a motorcycle accident. Twenty years ago I had a minor mechanical malfunction cause my bike to go down. My collision coverage reimbursed me in full for the value of the totaled bike. In the accident I broke some ribs, and suffered a punctured lung. In the course of having my lung cared for, I developed a severe infection which almost killed me. I went through a 9 hour surgery (a thoracotomy) and spent 31 days in intensive care in the hospital, followed by extensive post hospital care. My medical bills totaled over $350,000, and that was 20 years ago. If I had not had good medical insurance, I would have likely been in debt for the rest of my life to repay the cost of this incident alone. Get the coverage. Its worth the peace of mind.
In addition, at least in Arizona, we have uninsured and under insured coverage. We have a lot of those types driving in our state.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,054 Posts
Late to the party! I can't say whether you need insurance for your state, but you should certainly want it. Getting into a crash without insurance can (most likely will) ruin your life. Motorcycle insurance is usually dirt cheap, anyway. :)

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,001 Posts
Just for the Record as a Florida for 70 years.. No Insurance is required on Motorcycles but to ride without it is a potential for Disaster .. By Legal Law you can't ride without a Helmet unless have at least $10,000 Medical Insurance but is not enforced that hard ..
I would assume it is cheap to be had there in Florida (the insurance) although I hear from my buddy that lives there they rape you all on the registration parts.

As a logical adult I would never ride without insurance or medical ever although the government loves to take that option away from us these days here in the US while when I was younger riding without either did not matter to me at all, just going fast as the twist will allow me, was all that mattered. Hope the new rider saw his answer.

Here in Indiana insurance is cheap 75.00 a year for across the board minimum liabilities for you, and if you add comp and collision, it is only about twice as much. When I lived in Missouri it was about twice as much for the liability part because the area mandated un/under insured, and was nearly 4 times as much adding comp and collision. The less the government mandates insurance the cheaper it seems to be and the less you need to use it. The need to have it due to human nature and to keep from destroying your life is invaluable. Always get it, please.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My motorcycle insurance bundled with Auto plus Homeowner's is less than $20.00 / month, liability. This includes an additional discount for the completion of the MSP (CMSP here in CA).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts