Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been a long journey, that is for sure... Live on the east coast of Florida - From Elyria Ohio (Teen years) and Wilmington, Delaware (2 - 13 and 20 - 32) Parents - Ya know-.. We are settled in here and will not be leaving, I hope... Starting to look at bikes now... Just small rides, close to home, 1/2 hour, maybe 1 hour at the most. Over 50 so too much won't be good on the body.. Spent years riding motocross, had a small enduro when 21 -24 to ride to work once in a while. Was never a biker like my Pop's..
Want something Cool looking, maybe a custom bike, or harley... First one I looked at is a 2003 Desperado Posse...
What SHOULD something like that run me...? This is where I am lost, like so many others, don't understand the pricing. A new one will set you back 28K (wow) !!!! I am in the 10K area... Tops, really...

Anyway, looking to learn and will be reading a bunch... Been an industrial electrician for years. That includes mechanical work... Non - Union, so we had to do it all.. Weld, Braze, Rebuild 100hp DC motors, run conduit, Drill Tap... and when in my 20s remove broken taps... :biggrin: PLC work... on and on...
Amazing to me that one can learn all those years and your value in a maintenance dept. is still in the 20 - 30$ an hour range. While my wife has continued to learn Software programs and makes 3 times that... Medical is where it is at, that is for sure...

Lookin to : :71baldboy:

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. You might find yourself riding a lot more than you think since you live where it is warm year round. Good luck in your search for a bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the Forum. You might find yourself riding a lot more than you think since you live where it is warm year round. Good luck in your search for a bike.
I kept watching for years, never seen one that caught my eye. Then this 2004 Deperado Posse caught my eye. Has the belt drive on it, TP121, All chrome, custom Rims and tires, flame paint... Many extras I can't describe yet. They don't have them listed per say... Ostrich seat, so much stuff... Just dont know how to price it...

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Welcome from the East coast of Florida too. (Daytona.)

If that bike you're looking at is in the price range you want and it moves your soul, then buy it if you can and be happy with it. :)

Just know that many of those "custom choppers" cranked out back in the heyday were shoddily built, poorly designed, and often hard to work on. Most of them now have no manufacturer support and parts can be a real problem to locate, and even to identify. I'm not trying to harsh your dream, but just make sure you know what may be involved with your new steed.

But as I said, if it's the bike you dream about, buy it!

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts

If that bike you're looking at is in the price range you want and it moves your soul, then buy it if you can and be happy with it. :)

Just know that many of those "custom choppers" cranked out back in the heyday were shoddily built, poorly designed, and often hard to work on. Most of them now have no manufacturer support and parts can be a real problem to locate, and even to identify. I'm not trying to harsh your dream, but just make sure you know what may be involved with your new steed.

Good Advice there my Son was wanting a Big Dog Custom until pointed out the same drawbacks and is now quite happy on a Street Glide ..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks... Will keep that in mind, for sure and did not know those parts would be hard to find. Many things I could work out myself, although I know very little of my way around a bike, like wrote earlier, did machining, lathe, grinding work, etc... Always making our own parts when needed. Will post pics of this bike when I get to 15 posts. The owner is really honest, pointed out the few problems it has, Where oil comes out of pump, the Nut will back off from pressure if you really get on the throttle. I asked him about locktite, he replied that they went through all types to no help and they want to add a set screw. I have seen it done on other machines.. Not sure anyone would notice it. I can handle that type of work... Like you write about these bikes, how many of the poor design, or engineering faults does one want to deal with...
PSL - FLorida

Thanks again...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Doesn't look like it has much ground clearance. Does it fit you? Comfortable in the saddle and with the handlebars?

Just reading about them on Google, the depreciation in value, year-to-year, looks huge. I don't want to seem negative, but these bikes don't seem to be designed with riding in mind. Show bikes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't look like it has much ground clearance. Does it fit you? Comfortable in the saddle and with the handlebars?

Just reading about them on Google, the depreciation in value, year-to-year, looks huge. I don't want to seem negative, but these bikes don't seem to be designed with riding in mind. Show bikes.
OH MAN... Be as honest as possible... It isn't negative if telling the truth and giving an opinion...
I think he did take it to a lot of shows. It does fit nicely. We are about the same size.. Avg... 5'11 190 0r so... At least I think that is avg... If you have a link, would love to see it...
The guy is still charging big bucks for his new customs. All of them are.. The appeal just isn't there anymore and you see more bobber black type bikes now, even the younger builders are going that route.

I wont ride much... twice a month maybe... Not trying to talk myself into it, would like to know that if I bought it, I could resale for same price in a few years. I doubt the go up... Think it is worth 8K myself... Cost a lot more and has 3K tires and rims, etc... A lot of money dumped into it that can never be recouped...
Still would rather be the second owner then the guy that put all that money into it... The TP121 is a good motor, or so he says... Lots of power too..

·
Registered
809 Posts
Definitely agree with the second owner part... $30k - $40k new and $5k - $20k used from what I see. I know there are used listed higher than that but I can't believe many of them are selling.

As long as you are looking at it as a show bike and if you feel sure most of the depreciation has already happened...?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wouldn't use for show at all.. I know it has a bunch of trophies, took a second out of 220 one time. I think at 8K it is worth that.... I suspect it was more new. Maybe 15k, then dropped before everything was added and valued back up to that point 2007, then has dropped since.
To build it, would cost 15K plus... From dealer, certainly more and other than age, no different... It is in fabulous shape and not being marketed heavy... Just simple add, bike... Tp121
Just dont know... very tossed...

A problem I see is a 40 year old harley gains in value... A 40 year old "what" loses value. Unless the builder makes a big name for himself and becomes a big brand. It will be just a home made bike with a title and worthless name.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have my own favorites but let me suggest that you visit your local multi-brand dealer. Sit on every bike that has any appeal for you and start paying attention to how each one feels. Reject any and all that feel too heavy when you lift them into a riding position and all that you cannot easily reach the ground when it is standing up. That should cut your selection down to just a few. Now start looking at things like power to weight ratio, comfort and protection from the elements. I bet when you get done with that exercise you will be down to just 2 or 3 bikes that you are seriously considering.
Take a test ride on those very few bikes that you really like. I know how that came out for me but not everyone likes a Victory Vision like I do. After your test ride you will know exactly what you want in a bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts