Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a helmet with a dark visor. I was just testing it out at home and I noticed that in some lighting conditions, I can see my reflection in the visor. I don’t want to have to wear sunglasses inside the helmet. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
I have a helmet with a dark visor. I was just testing it out at home and I noticed that in some lighting conditions, I can see my reflection in the visor. I don’t want to have to wear sunglasses inside the helmet. Is this normal?
Does the helmet have a clear visor that can be flipped up, as well as a sun shade inner visor that can flick down? Usually this would be a full face helmet.
Or, do you have a removable visor that is dark? Usually his would be an open face helmet.

Some helmets are difficult to wear glasses.

UK

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a full face. It came with a clear visor that I replaced with a dark gray because I don’t think I could fit sunglasses under there, anyway. This particular model does not have the flip down sun shade.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I've never had any problem with a tinted face shield during the daylight hours. I haven't used all the helmet/face shield combinations either, so maybe I was just lucky. :)

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
I suggest decent sun glasses under the clear screen.
It used to be the tinted visors were lousy, and dangerous in the rain. the pros are using tinted so they must be a bunch better. But I would still prefer decent shades. My new AGF ? helmet has a flip down tinted visor, inside the clear outer visor. The tinted one is not full size, but works fine.

I found a back pack, and a helmet, with my birth year number on them. How lucky is that.

UK

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
In the last few years, I've started using a tinted visor on all my trips. I always came home looking "**** eyed" with just sunglasses.

Riding around locally, I always grab the sunglasses. :)

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
It’s a full face. It came with a clear visor that I replaced with a dark gray because I don’t think I could fit sunglasses under there, anyway. This particular model does not have the flip down sun shade.
You got me totally confused now. Are you saying the clear visor fits differently than the dark visor? I've never seen a dark visor that replaces a clear one, that came with the helmet, fit differently. So I don't understand why your sunglasses would fit different under each. Or are you saying you put a "universal fit" dark visor on replacing the factory clear visor. If that's true, then I'm not surprised. Manufactures go to great pains to make helmets and the visors work as intended. So unless you use their visor, I don't think they can help and we certainly can't. But maybe that isn't what you are saying, hence my confusion. So could you clarify?

BTW, a dark visor will tend to reflect more than a clear no matter what.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. i purchased an additional dark visor. I cannot fit glasses under either. However, the purpose of buying the dark one was, obviously to not need sunglasses. The helmet fits really well but I’m not sure if i should keep it, if I can’t figure out what to do about this. I have read that other people are able to fit glasses underneath but I really didn’t want to have to do that because it’s uncomfortable.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My experience with a dark shield is the same as yours -- I get an irritating interior reflection. Fortunately with my HJC CL-17 helmets there is room underneath for glasses -- fortunate, since I wear glasses to see! In fact, even the rather goggle-like sunglasses-over-glasses type eyewear will fit under the clear face shield.

Are you just assuming or do you know for sure sunglasses will not fit under your face shield? If the former, then try it out first; if the latter, you're either stuck with the dark face shield and it's reflections, doomed to ride with no sunshade, or you'll need to find a new helmet.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
My experience with a dark shield is the same as yours -- I get an irritating interior reflection. Fortunately with my HJC CL-17 helmets there is room underneath for glasses -- fortunate, since I wear glasses to see! In fact, even the rather goggle-like sunglasses-over-glasses type eyewear will fit under the clear face shield.

Are you just assuming or do you know for sure sunglasses will not fit under your face shield? If the former, then try it out first; if the latter, you're either stuck with the dark face shield and it's reflections, doomed to ride with no sunshade, or you'll need to find a new helmet.
Unless the maker states that they have anti-glare coatings (haven't seen one, yet), all face shields will reflect the light that hits your face. A dark shield just works like a 'one-way' mirror, because the scene in front of you is darkened, and you may see the reflection better. If it bothers you, just turn your head enough to change the angle of the light bouncing off your face; that's what I do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts