Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend is just about to buy his first bike and I want to get him some good quality gear (that won’t break the bank!) He already bought a helmet but that’s it. He doesn’t want to wear a thick jacket since it’s rather hot where we live, I still want him protected though. So any recommendations for a chest piece would be super helpful. And honestly anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My boyfriend is just about to buy his first bike and doesn’t want to wear a heavy leather jacket due to the hot weather in our town, any suggestions for a jacket or something that would be comfortable in hot/sunny weather but still keep him safe?

·
Registered
644 Posts
A mesh jacket is made for warmer weather and flows air to help keep you cool. I bought my first mesh jacket new old stock(still had the tags on it) for $50 on eBay while the newer version was retailing for $150+. That may be a way to save some money, but make sure to use the manufacturer sizing charts because fit is important and it'll be harder to return/exchange on eBay.

·
American Legion Rider
23,201 Posts
Just about any of the mesh jackets depending on how hot. And with mesh, the more you pay the better they are, generally. I have yet to find one that is any good in our 102+ temps but I have yet to go expensive and from what I've read, that's where the good ones are. I'm cheap and live dangerously with just a T-shirt(not recommended). Now depending how much or how many miles he rides and how serious you or he is about wanting to stay cool, you might opt to go with a cooling vest instead, such as the following...

·
Registered
781 Posts
There is a post going on right now that may help. 'Riding gloves without breaking the bank'. There's lots of info that may help you.
But.....since I'm here, don't forget the gloves and boots. Boots should be durable, and rise above the ankle. Pull on or lace up is up to you. Gloves again should be durable and able to take a beating. Leather is the choice of some riders, while the newer materials are the choice of others.

Remember this. Just because an item has the word 'motorcycle' in its ad, doesn't mean it's any good. Do your research and ask questions. Most of us here are more than willing to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tha
Just about any of the mesh jackets depending on how hot. And with mesh, the more you pay the better they are, generally. I have yet to find one that is any good in our 102+ temps but I have yet to go expensive and from what I've read, that's where the good ones are. I'm cheap and live dangerously with just a T-shirt(not recommended). Now depending how much or how many miles he rides and how serious you or he is about wanting to stay cool, you might opt to go with a cooling vest instead, such as the following...
Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a post going on right now that may help. 'Riding gloves without breaking the bank'. There's lots of info that may help you.
But.....since I'm here, don't forget the gloves and boots. Boots should be durable, and rise above the ankle. Pull on or lace up is up to you. Gloves again should be durable and able to take a beating. Leather is the choice of some riders, while the newer materials are the choice of others.

Remember this. Just because an item has the word 'motorcycle' in its ad, doesn't mean it's any good. Do your research and ask questions. Most of us here are more than willing to help.
Thank you so much! That’s why I’m here asking questions ? I don’t want to trust an ad and have him get badly injured :/ I know when he took his Harley driving course he was told his boots weren’t good enough, is there a brand you’d recommend?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A mesh jacket is made for warmer weather and flows air to help keep you cool. I bought my first mesh jacket new old stock(still had the tags on it) for $50 on eBay while the newer version was retailing for $150+. That may be a way to save some money, but make sure to use the manufacturer sizing charts because fit is important and it'll be harder to return/exchange on eBay.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sorry, Tori. Each rider has their own preference. I've been riding for over 60 years, so I might be considered 'Old School'. There are lots of boots on the market using hi tech materials and are strong and durable. Honestly, I have no idea how good they are. But....since you asked, I've used everything from Cowboy boots, my old Combat boots, Engineer boots, to my current Red Wings. All of them were above the ankle, and made of leather...HEAVY leather. My Engineer boots were, you might say, 'tested' a couple of times. I ended up with no broken ankles, sprains or road rash. The boots came out well with just a little bit of scuffing on the sides.

If you ask 10 members on this forum about boots, you will get 10 different answers. You're going to have to take all their advice and make your own decision.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, Tori. Each rider has their own preference. I've been riding for over 60 years, so I might be considered 'Old School'. There are lots of boots on the market using hi tech materials and are strong and durable. Honestly, I have no idea how good they are. But....since you asked, I've used everything from Cowboy boots, my old Combat boots, Engineer boots, to my current Red Wings. All of them were above the ankle, and made of leather...HEAVY leather. My Engineer boots were, you might say, 'tested' a couple of times. I ended up with no broken ankles, sprains or road rash. The boots came out well with just a little bit of scuffing on the sides.

If you ask 10 members on this forum about boots, you will get 10 different answers. You're going to have to take all their advice and make your own decision.
Thank you for the honesty! And for the advice! I completely understand how every rider has their own preferences - I’m simply looking to cast a smaller net in my search to help him find proper gear ? I’ll have to look into those types of books and I’ll keep in mind that they should be heavy leather!!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Take a look at the 'Leatherup' web site. That will give you an idea of the different types of boots. One other thing that I will recommend. Make sure that the soles are a 'Goodyear Welt'. That means that the boots can be resoled. One pair of good quality boots should last you for years.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
I think something to consider with boots are how well they grip on the road (not foot pegs), especially when the road is wet. You don't want to drop your bike sitting at an intersection just because your foot slips. ?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I think something to consider with boots are how well they grip on the road (not foot pegs), especially when the road is wet. You don't want to drop your bike sitting at an intersection just because your foot slips. ?
Wot BPE is often overlooked. I am often on the deck of a ferry, which can have very slippery wet steel decks. A bit of fine loose gravel or sand on pavement is also slippery.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
23,201 Posts
This is what I insist on in my motorcycle boots for soles.

·
Visionary
4,460 Posts
Ditto on the grippy soles, smooth soled boots are a bad idea for riding. He will need a sole that will grip on a wet, slippery road surface as well as a dry, smooth one.
I've ridden in leather work boots, leather motorcycle (harness) boots, and recently in lightweight textile/leather tactical boots (meant for police use), which are my current favorites. All have their pluses and minuses but I feel safe and protected in all of them.
I don't wear separate armor but I have armored jackets suited for my climate, which for me means about 15-105 F, the gear must suit the temperatures it's used in, in Pennsylvania we see a lot of variety. I mostly wear textiles but I do have one leather jacket that works well too. You said a hot climate, so textile mesh gear might be what he needs
My suggestion is buy him some gift cards or take him shopping and let him pick out what he wants, there are a lot of variables based on type of bike, type of riding, personal preference, etc.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Good idea wot 721 said about the rider choosing.
Over time our, some things stay the same, others change a lot. And our own ideas change.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
23,201 Posts
Was the OP a hit and run type? Haven't seen a thing since the first day.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Football helmets, Shoulder-Knee-Kidney pads....all of these things were SOLD to decrease football injuries...they have failed...in the case of helmets, injuries have increased.

Why?

Because "armor" makes you feel armored..as in you can't get hurt. A guy with a helmet will use his head as a ram without thought..a guy with a bare head won't.

When it's cold, I "armor" up to keep warm; not for safety...and it dampens the fun aspect and it makes me just a wee bit more daring. At times I envision falling just to find out how good the gear really is; I'm an old dirt bike rider, so falling is no big deal...well it is now more than it was 30 years ago, but still.

So what I'm saying is, trying to "stay safe" via gear will take all the joy out of the experience. Two wheels are dangerous, a small amount of gear is sensible (helmet, gloves, boots) but buying gear in the futile attempt to make it safe will just erase the experience.

Boat shoes, T-shirt, Shorts and two wheels, that's freedom, that's exhilarating, because it's dangerous...danger = adrenaline = a high like no other...take away any one of those three ingredients and you might as well just drive a car.

What he needs more than anything to "stay safe" is experience and you can't buy that, well you can, sorta, you can buy it with time spent riding. I always recommend people get a dual sport bike, one they can ride in the dirt and the road and learn to master it in the dirt before spending lots of time on the cement.

Anyway, buy him whatever enhances the experience and don't worry about "keeping him safe".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts