Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really expecting any positive responses to this but Id like to tell you about a experience I had during a MC Charity Event (Poker Run). This past weekend my wife and I participated in a "MC" sponsored Charity event for a cause that I thought was worthy of my time and donations. This event was posted at my local HD Dealer, we signed up and attended. We supported the cause, ride and event along with a sizable monetary donation, during the ride a few riders went down in an accident, with my emergency response experience I helped as much as I could, or as much as the lead MC would allow me too. My wife and I were treated so poorly throughout the day because we were "citizens" and not members of their organization (MC). Hell without even a notice of the next venue to ride too we were intentionally left behind. They were willing to take our money, yeh, I get that and I don't expect to be treated as a member, but show some appreciation for my support.

That's is all

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Not all people who put such events together do so in the most welcoming way. This can be particularly true of clubs, I would imagine.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
You did the right thing. Just because it wasn't received well does not put any onus on you. It's their loss.

Kudos to you. :thumbsup:

·
8,574 Posts
Sorry you were treated that way my Veteran Brother.

I don't know if the event was a HOG chapter event but they have always been very friendly at least the ones that I attended. I was really into the Harley scene then, belonging to a big HOG Chapter, a Big ABATE chapter and a co-starter of a Family oriented Harley club. I was also on the Executive and planning boards and a Road Captain for a few organizations. 99% were great, ordinary, normal people.

We were always just naturally friendly to other riders that attended our events and we were treated the same.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The dealership charity rides I have attended were all organized and they treated the participants well. I don't get out to these very often, but haven't had a bad experience.

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
Also remember that they have a lot on their mind at these things. So being friendly and appreciative of someones efforts other than the ones supposedly responsible can be overlooked very easily. I wouldn't judge them by one event. I see it from time to time with things the Legion does. They really have a lot on their mind. You would be surprised at the amount of shat from a legal stand point is driving them.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I've worked more then my fair share of club sponsored poker runs and other charity events. IMHO, the financial reward doesn't match the amount of work that goes into them. We held them to give our club a little good publicity. It also gave those who attended a warm and fuzzy. When we started having problems finding volunteers to work the events, we just asked for donations at club meetings and came out ahead.

·
8,574 Posts
The Masonic Lodge I was a member of Co-sponsored the yearly "Jasper days," city wide Fair and celebration, with typical small town rural activities, like livestock shows, 4H stuff, Knitting and sewing displays, Farm equipment displays, Church pie sales etc-etc.

For years, I was the one that set up, ran and coordinated the Poker Run, Bike and Car show, Biker games, and raffles for various donated prizes. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun and the residents as well as the tourists, had a great time. The Lodge also Pit roasted a whole Pig and served that with all the trimmings at the city park.

This event made money for the city and for the Lodge.

After the event was over, all of us Blue Lodge Mason's retired to the Lodge, turned off the lights and discussed our next and ongoing endeavors, working with the Illuminati, to take over the entire world:biggrin:

All 10 of us had to be helped to count the loose change and the meager amount of money the Fair had provided because none were smart enough to do so on their own;)

World domination seems a lofty goal for Folks that couldn't figure out their own paychecks if overtime was involved:p

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Member or not, nobody should be treated poorly. I'd let more local people know how they act personally.
I'm glad this kind of behavior isn't normal for our sport. I hate to think where we'd be if it was.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've done several poker runs. Good times. They weren't club sponsored, but clubs showed up. They rode with themselves. Most of us who knew each other going into the ride did. Even when we all rode parade style, it was friends with friends. And that's fine.

Leaving without announcing, if the intent is to stay together, that's rude.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm not really expecting any positive responses to this but Id like to tell you about a experience I had during a MC Charity Event (Poker Run). This past weekend my wife and I participated in a "MC" sponsored Charity event for a cause that I thought was worthy of my time and donations. This event was posted at my local HD Dealer, we signed up and attended. We supported the cause, ride and event along with a sizable monetary donation, during the ride a few riders went down in an accident, with my emergency response experience I helped as much as I could, or as much as the lead MC would allow me too. My wife and I were treated so poorly throughout the day because we were "citizens" and not members of their organization (MC). Hell without even a notice of the next venue to ride too we were intentionally left behind. They were willing to take our money, yeh, I get that and I don't expect to be treated as a member, but show some appreciation for my support.

That's is all

I promise you that if you came to our Poker Run you would be treated like royal guests. We had over 350 at our poker run this year and we expect even more next year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts