Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider, I received a "free" motorcycle that has been sitting for about 10-15 years. It's a 1982 (I believe) Honda Hawk.
I'm pretty much rebuilding it from the ground up, and I'm not totally sure where to begin. I started sanding and priming all the metal because I didnt want the rust to eat through. But thats pretty much it.
I would like to make the bike look a lot cooler than what it was when I received it.
I bought a new seat, new rear fender, and new gas tank.
Though, the more I look at bikes the more I would to make mine be more of a cafe racer.

Anyway, I'm jumping ahead...
Does anyone have advice on where to start? OR what books to purchase?
OR anything that could help me?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Try to figure out what bike you have, and get the shop manual. Clymers makes manuals for these old bikes, too. Dime City Cycles is your friend for cafe parts. Clean the carbs! Get new fuel lines, a decent battery, and get to work.

·
Happy Rider
2,183 Posts
I would make sure it is In running order and all vitals are good to go before spending much or doing cosmetics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jrswanson1, I definitely need to get the manual then, can I find that on the Honda website? I looked at Dime City Cycles they are amazing, thank you!
The bike currently does not run, so i imagine I will follow the decent battery, fuel lines, and carbs advice to get that going.

RiditAgain, youre absolutely right, great point, I tend to jump ahead of myself with all the excitement of rebuilding. I have to prioritize getting the bike running before even thinking about what it looks like.

·
Happy Rider
2,183 Posts
I don't know what you have access to or how much you are willing or able to do to have the bike running correctly.

For example if you are willing to do an engine rebuild should it need it than not much is a stop here thing.

If not you should be able to use a jump to check compression and maybe to get a bit of life out of it with carb cleaner as your fuel kinda thing until you know a bit more about the bike.

If and when you are stumped or just have a question I don't think you will have any trouble getting some help out of this forum.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Good advice here, get the bike running and safe to ride first, then you can start customizing it, or tear it down again and rebuild it into a cafe racer.
My first bike was a Honda CM400t I bought from my uncle, my other uncle had a Honda Hawk 400, also a great bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts