Motorcycle Forum banner

Rebuilding a bike that I have no information on

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  MZ250 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I hope y'all are doing well.

Below I have some pictures of a bike I wish to rebuild, but I'm not exactly sure how I should go about doing it. Can anyone give me some tips and/or a part list that it needs?

Thanks in advanced!

imgur.c om/a/boHQE

#2 ·
That's probably going to be a big parts list from the looks of it. All I can tell you is it had a Lifan engine, which is a brand made in China and likely used on a ton of different models. Is there any information on the neck?

This one was probably abandoned for a reason - probably should move on to a different bike IMO.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Ok, you're somewhat local.

This IS the best time of year to purchase in New England. What are you looking for and what are you looking to spend?

Do you have any experience riding?

#7 ·
Thanks so much for helping and sorry for the late response.

I'm looking to spend around 400, but I could increase my budget. I am also not very experienced.

Anything you suggest or is everything out of my price range? (I'm a student, so not much of anything is in my price range)

#8 ·
I bought a 1983 XS400 Yamaha for $250. PO said the motor might be thrashed, so I bought another motor for $250.
Add new tyres, battery, wheel bearings and swing arm shaft and bearings, and about 3 years later I have spent around $1000 for a good running bike that is sweet to ride around town, and okay on the highway for short hops.

Unkle Krusty

#10 ·
Here's my 2 cents: You're a student, a novice rider and novice mechanic (these aren't bad things, we all started this way). Bringing a bike like that back to roadworthy condition will almost invariably distract you from your schooling to a rather detrimental degree. As s novice rider, you should have a sound, reliable machine so you can focus on learning to ride safely without worrying about why it's not starting today or running rough. I got my first bike for $500, rode it for a year, did nothing to it mechanically, and sold it the next year for $500. I think you can find a decent runner within your budget, but take your time, look up reviews and issues with the bike before you buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.