Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I am currently working on restoring an old 1979 KE100. So, before i start buying new parts to replace the rusted old ones, i want to see if there are any trouble shooting i can do to see where i should start taking the crankcase apart and replacing things.... so the bike starts perfectly fine and i can keep it running as long as i throttle feed it gas in neutral but it will not idle for more than a second or start running in first. The gas tank is thoroughly rusted and the single cylinder and head is covered in rust. I am not sure if something might be wrong with the needle valve or if the rust in the fuel tank is causing trouble with the orifice tube/fuel valve. I also cant find the idle screw if there is one. but I am pretty sure that is not the problem. Please help!

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I wouldn't suggest spitting the case open if it's not needed.

The rusty fuel tank should either be de-rusted or replaced, depending on condition. It's not a good idea to run rusty fuel through the carbs.

My guess is that the issues with running are fuel-related. Once you get the fuel system cleaned up, check the valve clearances and make sure the clutch is disengaging properly, adjusted, and operating properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the help! and i am sorry. i am new here and i was thinking the forums were attended by separate groups. thanks for the heads up Admin

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
When you are talking about the rusted cylinder and head,I am assuming that you are talking about the outside??? Meaning that you have not taken off the head and looked inside the combustion chamber.

I would recommend reading about bikes and what makes them tick at dansmc.com. That and make sure that your automatic oil injection is cleaned up and working properly.

I usually place a little spray of penetrating oil in the intake or spark plug hole in a bike that has not run for some years,but since you have been running the bike,just skip it.

As far as rusty tank goes,you should clean the carbs for sure,but also consider cleaning or replacing the fuel lines because rust could be inside them and is often overlooked. I Googled carb cleaning KE 100 and found another forum that might be specific to your bike. You could also consider using full synthetic 2 cycle oil for extra engine protection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! And yea i mean the outside it is rusted pretty bad, im assuming it wont affect the chamber in the future and when i did remove the head the chamber was shiny like new. i just recently replaced the fuel and oil lines and coated the rusted fuel tank the fuel valve has also been replaced. Im am running full synthetic 2 stroke oil, thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts