Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I am a yr 11 Student who is restoring and rebuilding a Yamaha VX 1000 for my senior school major works assesments.
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice they could give me about restoring a bike of similar comparison.
would love to get any advice on resorting and recommendations on what would be best to use on the bike.
thanks
Jacko.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Stay organized. Buy a manual, Clymers, Haynes, or the original factory manual also. Work in a clean, well lit environment, never use the wrong tool. Work in stages, do one repair then move on. Don't tear it all down and look at the pile of parts you put on the ground and not know what to do first. Clean each part as you go. So much easier to troubleshoot in a clean environment when old cruddy dirt and oil are hiding problems.

TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR WORK. You would be suprised how vital a picture of what your working on can be. "Oh yeah, that's where that goes!". I swear it helps. If you take a picture of what it looked like BEFORE YOU MESSED WITH IT you will be able to at least put it back together.

Good luck, and GRADUATE!!!

Keep us posted on your progress, I personally would love to see pictures of the process, including before and after shots.

loudest143

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it isnt running at the moment
but i believe its an electrical problem thats causing the bike not to run.
even so i will start by dropping the engine out and stripping it down.
cleaning the parts and the block etc etc.
then i will remove most parts for painting. (planning on having the bike 100% black including the exhuast, with gold decals on the tank and front fender.)
then i will rewire the electrics and respray the frame.
a very big job but one im very much looking forward to !
and as i said before anyone with advice please don't hesitate.
then

1 - 5 of 5 Posts