Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a female rider who enjoys being low maintenance. In other words, I don't own 10 pairs of shoes. I dread shopping.
I don't want to strip my feminine qualities and ride around looking like a man (no offense) or a poorly dressed person.
Any advice on things to snag and where? (Things being riding shoes, a jacket; the works!)

Low price + great quality = pipe dream?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer,

Fallon

·
Gone
23,903 Posts
Check the closeout sections of the online and brick and mortar stores to find the best deals. Generally these will be last year's fashions or other discontinued items, but the discounts can be pretty big.

·
Very Famous Person
10,029 Posts
--

There are some things that can be used several ways. I have a mesh padded jacket I wear all year. During rain I can put in the waterproof liner. During cold I can wear thick clothes underneath. During summer I just use with a t-shirt underneath.

My riding pants are ordinary jeans but with several extra layers of jean material sewn into the extended knee area.

My boots were more expensive, but I wanted some that fit well and could be worn all day without hurting. They have been rubbed/sprayed with waterproofing.

Be sure to get ear plugs. Some new silicone plugs have different cores that can be switched to give more or less wind noise reduction.

--

·
Ace Tuner
4,334 Posts
Most important, > FULL Face Helmet. <
Sturdy boots. Even western boots work pretty well but could be pulled off in a crash. Steel toe boots probably won't let you 'feel' the shifter very well.
Gloves with some kind of palm and outside of hand protection built in are ideal. Work gloves are better than nothing but my not have enough give for ease of control.
A jacket made for motorcycle riding with built in pressure point protection. Try to find a shop that has a good supply to choose from instead of ordering online. Department store 'posing' motorcycle look-alike jackets got the look but not the protection.

Good luck and welcome to the world of motorcycle.

BTW,
Ride like you are invisible. As if no cage drivers can see you, because they can't and won't. (Does not apply to police, most of the time).

·
Registered
501 Posts
My wife wears a Bilt brand motorcycle jacket that is cut for a feminine shape. It is high-viz green and makes riding a whole lot safer and less stressful because people see her and don't tailgate as much. Cost about a hundred bucks on sale.

She also found a pair of riding jeans (street and steel brand?) with knee pads and kevlar lining for about $120 (on sale) that actually fit. They are stretchy, not baggy, so she actually looks great in them. The knee pads are all but invisible when she is walking around.

She put stickers on her FF Shoei.

She looks great, is properly geared for safety, and the look is consistent with her feminine personality.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,433 Posts
Personally I feel the person makes the clothes rather than the other way around. You've come to riding at a good time as the whole industry is beginning to answer the needs of the female rider. There are sites such as this that target women only when it comes to closeouts. I don't know why some think just change the color of some item to pink makes it for a woman but they do. That site does have trailered for women products. But you can do a search and find many more. It's a good time for women riders.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,501 Posts
We all have budgets but I've found that buying for function first, looks 2nd, and to an extent price 3rd has actually saved me money in the long run. I'm not suggesting that you run out and purchase mega expensive Klim or Aerostich gear but there is a happy medium. On some items like helmets for example I buy the best I can that fits my intended purpose. After years of riding with so so helmets I stepped up and bought a Shoei J-Cruise. It's night and day in quality to my prior HJC's. For inexpensive gear try Jafrum.com or Leatherup.com. The quality is hit or miss but I've had some good results. for better quality check out RevZilla. I buy a lot of stuff from them as they have great reviews of the gear and will return items that you don't like.

Although it's not for everyone, Harley actually makes some really high quality gear. I've had a jacket for almost 10 years that has a zip off shell so it works for me in almost all weather conditions. I've tried to find who makes it for them but haven't found anything even close to the quality. The draw back of course is that their gear is plastered with HD logos but a lot of it is great quality. Plus every town has a dealer where you can try it on. I don't like their boots though. Heavy and low on protection.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Gone
23,903 Posts
I've bought a lot of stuff from MotorcycleGear.com over the years (they used to be called Newenough) There are a lot of times you can get deep discounts in the closeout section and their service has always been top notch. Most of their items have descriptions and comments from their employees explaining in detail what makes the item different from others, so you can learn a little more about it than just looking at a picture and seeing the manufacturer's blurb.

·
Driftless Rider
1,553 Posts
I'll second the suggestion from Oz.
Cycle Gear stores have a good selection of gear for the ladies spanning a wide arc of budgets. My GF just bought a pair of riding gloves from the Madison, WI store last weekend.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Oooh this is a good thread. Aside from my leather jacket that's low cut-ish, I don't have any feminine gear. Though, my breasts are large enough that I'm sure most people know. :D

I love my dual sport helmet, though. People say it looks like a futuristic space helmet and that's exactly the look I was going for.

Attachments

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Administrator
1,756 Posts
I used to try and try to buy female gear and got sick of all the pinks they felt they had to put on everything. Now I just buy guys gear. Simpler and more available. Beside since I have gotten fluffy, I mean, oh S#!^ fluffy, I cant fit into most micro gear now anyways.

·
Biker
1,724 Posts
Hello Rebel girl, sweet that you want to maintain your fem'ninity. Yeah a good pair of jeans or maybe chaps, 3/4 helmet with a REAL D.O.T. sticker! If you use goggles and ride at night, get a pair of clear or almost clear, Lots of good biker shoes out there but I bought a good pair of Herman work boots about 5 inches above the ankle and put'em on in the mornin an take'em off b4 I hit the afghans, so yeah real comfortable. You will want gloves, some make your skin go funny and peel in places so be aware of that. . .can't think of name of it but there is some kinds that cause skin issues. . . Shirts get something in bright yellow or orange, as it is quite noticeable 10 car lengths away. Good luck an take care.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,823 Posts
Stop by your nearest Harley Davidson dealership and look at their clothing. I and my wife and friends have always found it to be very good quality and lasts for years. Their clothes don't all have 'Harley' stencils on them and there are other colors besides black.:grin:

Welcome to a cool forum!:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

·
Premium Member
10,600 Posts
Stop by your nearest Harley Davidson dealership and look at their clothing. I and my wife and friends have always found it to be very good quality and lasts for years. Their clothes don't all have 'Harley' stencils on them and there are other colors besides black.:grin:

Welcome to a cool forum!:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:
Wot Sam said. There is lots of gear for the ladies to look at, and lots of bikes for the guys to look at.
I think I look best on an 883 Sporty. Shirley looks best in anything she likes.

UK

·
Registered
126 Posts
Check the closeout sections of the online and brick and mortar stores to find the best deals. Generally these will be last year's fashions or other discontinued items, but the discounts can be pretty big.
I haven't visited a Cycle Gear in person for a while, but that seems the way to get clearance items. So far it's sometimes even items on clearance which aren't labeled! A knowledgeable associate will know. Looking online, I basically don't buy anything because the deals aren't as good. I hear on this thread that Cycle Gear has a clearance section online, but as a huge man, aka average, but labeled huge to motorcycle gear (5'10" and 195 lbs with too much muscle for any armor until I found XXL by Fox (mechanic by trade)).

They really do let the ladies look good in their armor. ;)

--

There are some things that can be used several ways. I have a mesh padded jacket I wear all year. During rain I can put in the waterproof liner. During cold I can wear thick clothes underneath. During summer I just use with a t-shirt underneath.

My riding pants are ordinary jeans but with several extra layers of jean material sewn into the extended knee area.

My boots were more expensive, but I wanted some that fit well and could be worn all day without hurting. They have been rubbed/sprayed with waterproofing.

Be sure to get ear plugs. Some new silicone plugs have different cores that can be switched to give more or less wind noise reduction.

--
Lots of great advice Ronk, may I ask where you found the extra layered jeans? I like my mechanic's pants as they're way tougher than jeans, but other than knee pads I'm still looking. (sorry if this is off the ladies topic, but wherever he found it maybe they have ladies cut stuff too! :) )

I use old tan boots which are "Army" issue and they work great, but they suck up rain like they they're trying to save the cow they used to be attached too. Would water-proofing them work? Where can I get some? Recommendations? Would they stay breathable or should I get another set of boots for when it could rain?

Yes. Always hearing protection, not only will you hear the grand babies longer (progeria usually hits when you're old but it's from loud behaviors from a lifetime of ear damage) but you'll listen better to what's going on if you're not getting a headache from the constant wind...maybe it's just me with all the head injuries, but it gives me a headache. My buddies with fewer head injuries, who let me talk them into trying some hearing protection, said it was a lot nicer. Carry extra because you'll lose them over-time and you might save a buddy too.

·
Very Famous Person
10,029 Posts

Lots of great advice Ronk, may I ask where you found the extra layered jeans?

I used regular jeans and had a seamstress sew in 9" X 18" jean material patches on the inside of the knee area.

...Would water-proofing them work? Where can I get some? Recommendations? Would they stay breathable or should I get another set of boots for when it could rain?

Several options: Get waterproofing wax or spray at any sporting goods location. No boots are going to be as good as rubber rain boots, so don't expect it. Or different covers are here:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...s-Rain-Boot-Covers/zgbs/automotive/3271382011

Yes. Always hearing protection, ...

Right. Even the wind noise will eventually mess up your hearing.
--

My response in bold.

--

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.