Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m having a big issue with my bike. when the engine warms up and I'm going down the highway it`ll do a little jerk forward and the speed and RPMs will drop quick and even though I have it at full throttle it wont rev up in gear. it sounds like a clutch or carb problem, but I replaced both of those and this problem still wont go away. I`m running out of ideas of why this is happening. any thoughts?

thanks

·
American Legion Rider
18,889 Posts
This might be a valve adjustment problem based on your description of it working fin until it's warm. Do you know when they were adjusted last? Of course it could any number of other things as well but this popped first in my mind. But the real gurus will want more info than it's a Rebel 250. Give them all the information you know about the machine. Year, what has been done to the bike prior to this issue, what you've done to correct it it. Everything you can think of. Details gets you better results in correcting this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I didn’t give more info! This is my first time on the forum so I’ll try my best!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so it’s a 2002 Honda rebel, has currently 6073 miles. Few weeks ago the carb started dumping fuel so I took it apart and cleaned it real good but it still kept dumping fuel. So a mechanic told me just get a new carburetor, so I looked on the internet and all I could find was a dual carb. So I got one that looked ok and the adapters needed. Few days later they come in and i installed em, made sure both cylinders were going, and it was so I figured my bike was ALL good to go...until after a few weeks of riding it started losing power like I said in the original post. So I looked up the problem and people said it’s a slipping clutch, so I ordered new clutch plates and and installed them (correctly). So after testing it out in my driveway and adjusting the clutch to give a little free play I took it on the the road and not even 2 miles down it did it AGAIN. So i turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes and turned it back on and drove back home. It actually ran good driving back on the highway but after I got into my street I did it again. So I’m back to square one. Let me know if there’s any more info I need to let y’all know.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
My first thought was it might be starving for fuel, which implies a plugged filter, Could also be the wrong size jets now that I know the carb or carbs have been changed. I might trust the original more than the replacement. Turn the petcock to the off position, assuming it has one. This is where info is required from the HC post. Remove the fuel line from the carbs, turn the petcock to prime. Observe. No fuel plugged filter. remove the filter, no fuel plugged petcock or no fuel in tank. If you have plenty of fuel, you could clean the carbs inside. But first, check for spark.

UK

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tank vent blocked? After going a ways, fuel exiting the gas tank creates a vacuum, that limits fuel flow into the carbs. Test this theory by opening the tank cap when it happens.

·
Visionary
2,972 Posts
Thanks for coming back and telling us what the solution was!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well........ I have kind of a new problem now. The bike won’t go above 55mph, I’ll get it up to that speed but when I want to go a little faster all it does is rev up. What the heck does that mean?! I have the free play in the clutch lever required for it, and it has a brand new clutch. help please....

·
Visionary
2,972 Posts
That sounds like the clutch is slipping for sure. You replaced it, and you say you have the free play, are you sure you have all the right parts and in the right order and adjusted correctly?

Are you using the correct oil ( Motorcycle, not automotive oil which makes clutches slip)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, I made sure that everything was in place and made sure the oil was wet clutch compatible.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,619 Posts
Go back through the clutch, make sure everything is in correctly and adjusted properly.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,619 Posts
What did you do, the information may help someone else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The clutch cable was a bit tight so I put a little more slack in it and it it hasn’t given me any issues since.

·
American Legion Rider
18,889 Posts
That's great and thanks for the update information. It may very well help someone in the future.
(y) (y) (y)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts