Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a Suzuki b king on a 2008... The rear wheel won't align its visably out.. Every time I try to align it it's always different by at least 2 marks (the sprocket side is always further back) I have tried to force it into place but not too much to damage it I really don't have any more ideas.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Check the torque on the rear axle nut. It sounds like a loose axle. The reason it's always back is (guessing) that the last thing you do before you get off is brake/stop. It is probably moving forward and back while you're riding. (again just guessing)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's all loose as I have just changed the chain and sprockets. But it won't adjust if I adjust it the other side just moves as well... Could something be bent if so what could cause this...

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
What type of adjusters does this motorcycle have? Most larger street bikes use the screw type, which are pretty hard to get wrong.

·
American Legion Rider
21,265 Posts
Yes. The axle can be bent. That happened to me on my Twinstar. I dropped it once. I thought there was just some concrete dust on the nut but the next time I went to adjust the chain I got the same thing happening as you. Checked the axle and it was slightly bent.:thumbsdown: Just the tip though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was dropped but no hard at all I pretty much lay it down... I just had a look and i can push the spindle to align them both but as soon as I leg go in springs back to where it was before.... Could anyone give me any suggestions on how to check if my frame is bent

·
American Legion Rider
21,265 Posts
Yep, that's basically all I did was drop it on my drive as it started to roll backwards on me and I wasn't paying attention.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts

You should be able to use screw #18 to set the position of each side - there should be two of those (according to the part breakdown)

Edit: The picture only shows one, but all of the actual part listings show there are two - if that is correct. Do you have two of those? You can adjust them individually to set the position of the rear wheel - though checking for frame damage isn't a bad idea.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
It was dropped but no hard at all I pretty much lay it down... I just had a look and i can push the spindle to align them both but as soon as I leg go in springs back to where it was before.... Could anyone give me any suggestions on how to check if my frame is bent
If you use bolt (#18) to adjust the chain, the only way it can move back (forward) is if nut (#19) is loose or stripped. You said originally that it is moving towards the rear. That can't happen unless the axle is loose. A bent frame has nothing to do with a change in alignment marks. A bent axle could cause your tire to move out of visible alignment, but it should not change position relative to the alignment marks if the adjusters and axle are tight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I tighten the right side where the disc is the left moves With it... Always 2 notches further away from #18 so if the disc brake side Is on 2 notches from the back of the swing arm the Sprocket side will be at the end. Could I jam something in the sprocket side and do the disc side up so it can't move?

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I suggest you search Youtube suzuki Bandit chain adjustment. (uses same style adjusters)

What you are describing has nothing to do with a loose swing arm.

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
Rear wheel

Not sure what is happening, always easier when looking at it. Are both adjusters free, as in did you back off the lock nuts. do the ajusters screw in and out. Some lube on these bits helps. Start with the chain loose. Back off the axle nut to the point you can move the wheel. By move, I mean you give it a good kick on the back to move it forward, and a boot on the side of the tyre to align it. Then move the wheel back by doing a couple of turns on one side, and then the other. The adjusters are there to stop the wheel pulling forward under acceleration. I am also wondering if the wheel is moving when you tighten the axle nut. Better to have the chain a bit loose with more lube, than the other way around.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's so difficult to explain.... Its not that I personally don't no how to adjust the chain 4 people have tried be didn't no how to do it... I'm not being daft haha. It's like something is stopping the spindle going on the correct notch like its bent

1 - 20 of 33 Posts