Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I installed some shorter rear shocks on my Honda cb900. The shocks compress just fine, but on the extension they 'top out' and bang pretty hard. Anyone have any ideas how to stop this? I am assuming the shocks are oil filled...could a low oil level be the problem??

Thanks so much for any help possible!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Unless they're a good set of aftermarket shocks, the rebound damping is probably shot or most of the oil has leaked out. My money is on the latter.

The shocks aren't full of oil, having either an air gap or bladder to compress when the shocks do so. The shaft going inside displaces volume.

Enough technical! If the shocks are rebuildable, can come apart, take them apart, clean them, put in new seals if possible, put in the proper volume of oil (I have no idea where you may find that spec since I have no idea what the shocks are), and put 'em together and see if it worked.

Most shocks aren't able to be disassembled, much less rebuilt, but still some are. If you find you like the bike lowered and the shocks aren't rebuildable, go look for either a used or new set of shocks on ebay or wherever. The common measure is eye to eye and most Hondas have what is called a clevis mount on one or both ends, I forget.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts