Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear shocks came in the mail, but of course, I ran into some problems, probably because this new parts seems to have been made for multiple bikes instead of specific to my 1980 Honda CB650. One issue is that the shock doesn't clear the chain-guard at all pre-load positions, so I have to adjust to middle pre-load or greater. But whatever, I can deal with that. The other problem I'm less certain of-- there's a large gap in the bottom attachment that was not on the old shock:

If I tighten the bolt as is, I'll bend the metal bracket of the shock. Do you think I should just put some spacers in there, or should I send the part back to the distributor?

Attachments

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
If it's not crooked, and it's working OK, I would just put some washers in there and be done with it.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Put washers in, on both sides, to center the shock on the bolt. If the shock has free play, it will slide around, destroying the rubber spacer between the shock and the bolt. This is/was a fairly common issue for bikes in the 1980's, to have space on the shock attachment bolts. As long as the free play is eliminated, and the shock is centered, there won't be any problems.

The clearance issue sounds as though you received shocks of the wrong length. Go back to your manuals, and verify the correct length of the shocks it came with, from the factory, and make certain your new shocks are the proper length. Shock manufacturers make the same type, in varying lengths, to fit multiple bikes -- it's easy to get the wrong length... Measure the center hole, to center hole distance, on the OEM shocks, unloaded, off of the bike; then measure the same on the new shocks -- they should be nearly identical in distance. If off by 1", or more, then you have the wrong length shocks (they should be nearly identical, or less than 1/2" difference).

Make sure you apply the proper torque to those shock bolts! Get yourself a clicker torque wrench, from Harbor Freight, for around $20. Use it on the oil drain plugs every time, as you do NOT want to strip that out... Proper torque will keep everything right, and tight, without stripping, or loosening from vibration. Cheers!
:coffee:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts