Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been working on cars for years and just got my first motorcycle and I'm trying to learn as much as possible about it. It's a 2001 Honda Rebel, and it has a rear brake drum like many bikes.

I can find hundreds of guides on how to replace the brake shoes, that's simple enough. What I can't find is any information on the brake drum itself. How do I replace them? where would I buy one? Is there different nomenclature for motorcycles making it so I can't find the information?

I do not need to replace mine, but I replaced the drum shoes and figured I'd look at how to do the drum while I did, I just can't find any information. Not even in the service guide.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Yup, eye is correct. It's just part of the wheel - you would have to lace in a whole new hub.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
So I'd need to replace the rear hub?
If you want to replace the brake drum, then yes.

But if it has a problem it may be able to be repaired instead of replacing it. Sometimes certain defects can be turned out on a lathe, or some damages can be welded up and then turned true. In either case you'll have to remove the hub and take it to the machine shop. Cmon Start knows his way around older Japanese bikes and can hopefully point you in a better direction.

My guess is, though, that replacing the drum / hub is not something you'll ever need to worry about in normal circumstances.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Try ebay for the whole rear wheel, it would probably be cheaper and definitely a lot easier to do it that way. I had one up until a couple years ago, it just sat around collecting dust, nobody wanted it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect, thank you for your help! I've had the damndest time trying to figure out how to go about this.

It's good to know for the future, thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Why do you need to replace the drum? Motorcycle rear brakes wear very very slowly. Unless you wore the rear brake shoes out, and gouged the drum surface, the drum should be good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts