Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am having an issue with my 2002 Yamaha Vstar 650. I recently had an issue with the rear cylinder backfiring and popping but have since fixed that. I changed the rings and have done some testing to make sure it has pressure now. Everything looks good until I go to start it and it I noticed the rear cylinder was not sounding right. I looked at the temp and of course the front was hotter than the rear. I took the bike for a spin around my apartment parking lot despite the fact that the cylinder was bad. The bike will idle and once you get going it bogs and the rear will kick in every couple of seconds. I already replaced the ECU/CDI box and tried another coil but the problem is still there. I know im getting spark but it seems like its a timing thing but I know my timing is good. Any ideas on what I should check? I know its possible a wire is grounded but I don't know where to start.

·
Administrator
1,757 Posts
I don't know much about those bikes, I owned one for literary a year and got rid of it because I personally prefer the sport bike feel. That said I didn't even do maintenance to it. The great thing is everything you do do it methodically, check the basics: Air, fuel, Spark. It sounds like you have done the basics so then you move on to the more complicated stuff, compression, injection, computer. Don't jump around dont just start changing components and don't give up. If you have a manual definitely FOLLOW the trouble shooting section, and it it does not work don't feel like it would be too much to take a modern bike to the/a shop for a diagnoses. I am sorry I can not personally help with this but I wanted you to know your post is seen and that I am, and I am sure others are thinking on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.