Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
8,037 Posts
Gosh Folks, Google 'brake problems on Honda Goldwings.' 2 seconds and lots of info came up.:)

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling certain model year 2001-2010 and 2012-2015 GL1800, 2001-2005 GL1800A and 2013-2015 GL1800B motorcycles. The rear brakes of the affected motorcycles may drag after the brakes are released. A rear brake that drags may increase the risk of a vehicle crash.Jan 27, 2016
Honda Goldwing Brake Recall, again - Cyclemax

Sam:)

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,870 Posts
Your goldwing doesn't have that little bushing and pin plunger that sits between the front brake lever and master cylinder does it?
I've seen those bushings get worn enough to allow the plunger to get at a bit to of an angle to where it's holding a slight constant pressure.

Pretty easy to pull off front brake lever to check.

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
No advice but I am curious to see what the cause is, hopefully it gets loaded and transported to the shop without any big issues. If I'm reading this correctly it will move under power, juts not roll freely, so it shouldn't be too hard to load and transport.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I feel TRULY DUMB now. But I still had to have my Goldwing taken to my mechanic on a flatbed trailer. After all the helpful comments, I will admit that I never crawled under the bike to check the pressure in the rear tire, but did check the more easily accessible front. It seemed so likely to be a brake issue that I didn't really look further. Today, AAA arrived and put the Goldwing on a flatbed trailer. As it was being pulled onto the trailer the rear tire looked VERY flat. Apparently that was my problem all along. The brake recall issue by Honda did not apply to my 2016 bike, and shortly after it got to my mechanic he told me that the brakes appear perfectly fine and that the rear tire was damaged beyond any chance of repair. He said I was lucky that on my last ride I was able to get home to my garage before the tire went fully flat. So I am glad to say that I just need a new tire and hope to be back on the road in a couple of days, as soon as the new tire arrives and is mounted on the bike. I'm still hoping for a few more rides before putting the bike to sleep for the long cold winter. I just haven't decided yet if I should just go ahead and get a new front tire as well, even though that tire looks to be in good shape, since it does have about 8,000 miles on it as did the rear tire.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
344 Posts
Check the date code on it. if it's 4 yrs or more replace it.

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
^^^^^ +1 on the above.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,455 Posts
Did he tell you what killed the rear?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Did he tell you what killed the rear?
Not yet, When he calls with the results of his checking out the bike, including a few other things I asked him to look at, I will see if it was obvious what did the tire in.

Reactions: Critter

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I get my bike back today. Still hoping to get a few more rides in before putting it away for the winter.

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
I get my bike back today. Still hoping to get a few more rides in before putting it away for the winter.
Looks like some nice weather next few days, we get the warm front tomorrow

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
Let us know if air in the tires helps vito.

·
Registered
27 Posts
First thing I can think of is brake drag. I've never found colder weather causing difficulties in moving my bike when in neutral. If the bike moves but is just difficult to do so that would tell me it isn't stuck in gear. Take it for a ride, listen for any strange noise, like the caliper dragging of something out of the ordinary. If it is still hard to move around after the ride, put it up on the center stand and turn the back wheel, then get the front wheel off the ground and do the same. Also trying holding the clutch lever in when pushing the bike around. I can't think of anything else, especially if the bike rides without any problems...
Yep, TR is spot on. Brake fluid change, sound like to me. More than likely it's old.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had this once when a caliper seized up a bit in colder weather on my 75 Honda cb550f due to rust in the cylinder so rebuilt it. The other time i have had a hard drag when i neutral was because it wasn't fully disengaged. Can happen if the clutch is getting old or you just didnt knock it all the way out into neutral. If this happens just pull the clutch in and then push and see if it moves normally. Let it out and if it drags i neutral again its because the indicator is a bit off and it says its neutral but still partially in gear. To remedy, pull clutch and pop it up and down a gear then back into neutral again. See if that helps. If you have problems to where it may be a safety issue while riding, i would check your cables and the clutch cable position to be sure its all within speck. Of course you also want to determine if the front wheel moves freely or the back. Back is hard to move the. Do above check. If its the front tire dragging its the brake caliper stuck.

·
On The Road Again!
3,511 Posts
Gosh Folks, Google 'brake problems on Honda Goldwings.' 2 seconds and lots of info came up.:)

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling certain model year 2001-2010 and 2012-2015 GL1800, 2001-2005 GL1800A and 2013-2015 GL1800B motorcycles. The rear brakes of the affected motorcycles may drag after the brakes are released. A rear brake that drags may increase the risk of a vehicle crash.Jan 27, 2016
Honda Goldwing Brake Recall, again - Cyclemax

Sam:)
Wow! I wonder why they had so many problems with 2001 and up 1800 models.
I've never heard of anything like with the previous generation of Wings, which
are the 1500s like mine.
I wonder what they did different that gave them trouble?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had an odd problem this morning when I wanted to move my bike in my garage. It was quite cold, about 28 degrees, and I am not sure if that had anything to do with the problem. With the bike in Neutral I usually have no problem moving the bike forward or backwards despite the bike weighing over 900 pounds, but today I could barely budge the bike in either direction. When I started the engine and put it into 1st gear, it moved forward as it normally does. And since this Goldwing has a Reverse (which uses the starter to power it) I tried putting it into Reverse, and again, that seemed to work normally. But even after the bike was warmed up, moving it manually was really, really hard to do. I have no idea what might cause this problem. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
I would suggest doing a thorough bleeding of your brakes. Change in temp can cause change in pressure especially if you have air in the lines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had an odd problem this morning when I wanted to move my bike in my garage. It was quite cold, about 28 degrees, and I am not sure if that had anything to do with the problem. With the bike in Neutral I usually have no problem moving the bike forward or backwards despite the bike weighing over 900 pounds, but today I could barely budge the bike in either direction. When I started the engine and put it into 1st gear, it moved forward as it normally does. And since this Goldwing has a Reverse (which uses the starter to power it) I tried putting it into Reverse, and again, that seemed to work normally. But even after the bike was warmed up, moving it manually was really, really hard to do. I have no idea what might cause this problem. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Hit the brake calipers with a rubber mallet. If it's brakes sticking, that will usually free them right up.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,870 Posts
So Vito, did the flat rear tire fix the issue? So many seem to still think it's the brakes....

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,455 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts