Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum. I have problem with my new (to me)1974 HONDA CB350 Motorcycle bike. In neutral the rear wheel spins freely in the forward direction, but if I try to spin in reverse direction it either does not spin, is hard to spin, or spins briefly and stops abruptly. Seems to do better after I have ridden the bike. Any ideas on what is causing my problem. Thanks

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
That may happen due to chain/sprocket wear. The chain catches when rotating backward because it is elongated by wear (called stretch) and the sprockets have a hook in the forward direction that catch on the chain when rotated backward.

Look at your front sprocket and see if it has uniform symmetric U shaped teeth or if the teeth have a hook to the U shape. The rear may be the same way.

You probably need a new chain and sprockets. Both will be bad.

In spite of the cost, if your 350 is nice and you plan to keep your bike for a while or even restore it, spend the money for an O-ring chain along with your sprockets. Way less need for oiling making for less of a mess and at least two to three times the chain life.

If the bike's on the rough side and just a beginner to get you going or you simply can't afford the extra $50 or so, do the lower priced chain without O-rings.

Regardless of which type you buy, don't buy some no-name chain to save $10 bucks Buy an RK, DID, Tsubaki, or EK. Here's a site with some commentary on chains.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks markk53. I think you are exactly correct. I will check it out tonite. My chain was making a noise initially and I lubed it and the sound went away. It is back again and I just lubed it 100 miles ago so I suspect new chain is in order(along w/sprockets). I do plan to keep the bike a long time so I think i will go for the O-ring chain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts