Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,395 Posts
I believe a lot of cagers think that since we are on motorcycles we should be going at least 20 miles over the speed limit, not gasp the actual speed limit.
This person said this back in 2010, more true today, post covid road rules than ever, people drive twice the speed limit everywhere in this area.

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
359 Posts
Ive been shot at on the road. One riccocheted off Ravens swingarm. Post covid road rules? You mean no road rules? Its like Fury road out there.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
You name your motorcycle?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Naming mechanical objects always has seemed weird to me. I always wonder what the owner is thinking; is it just a convenient label, or is it because they really believe that the machine has some sort of consciousness or soul. My Dad, back in the 1950's, referred to our Oldsmobile that was endlessly breaking down as "That pile of ****" but that's not really a name, just an accurate description.

Years ago I met a neighbor of my brother's who asked my brother and his wife to drive her car at least once every few days while she and her husband were staying in Florida for the winter. She said her car would get lonely if it sat in the garage unused for months, and that made her feel sad. This woman truly believed that the car had feelings. Of course she was crazy as can be, and of course she always referred to the car by the name she had given it.

But for some reason, the naming of boats or ships does not seem as crazy, maybe just because that is a custom that goes back at least some centuries.

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
Registered
752 Posts
People in cars always surprise me around here. I live in Connecticut and ride all over New England and New York / Pennsylvania. In NY and PA generally people treat you like they do any other car but around here in the Berkshires region people are actually super courteous to me. I'm always having cars move over and wave me by, or deferring to me at intersections. It's shocking considering how driving around here is only a shade off from Mad Max, but on a bike people seem to really look out for you. I hear a lot of other riders around here complain about their run ins with cars, but my experience makes me think they're probably the problem and not the driver.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
2,903 Posts
My naming of vehicles is little or big, followed by color. My tractor goes by big Johny, my rider by little Johny.

But I don't always refer to them by a name.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Or for laying on the horn when the light turns green, and they just sit there. Had to explain to my wife why she shouldn't do this.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
2,903 Posts
Or for laying on the horn when the light turns green, and they just sit there. Had to explain to my wife why she shouldn't do this.

Are you saying your wife shouldn't lay on the horn at a stop light? If she needs help understanding why not to do that. Have her watch 'Unhinged'🙂

·
Registered
359 Posts
Naming mechanical objects always has seemed weird to me. I always wonder what the owner is thinking; is it just a convenient label, or is it because they really believe that the machine has some sort of consciousness or soul. My Dad, back in the 1950's, referred to our Oldsmobile that was endlessly breaking down as "That pile of ****" but that's not really a name, just an accurate description.

Years ago I met a neighbor of my brother's who asked my brother and his wife to drive her car at least once every few days while she and her husband were staying in Florida for the winter. She said her car would get lonely if it sat in the garage unused for months, and that made her feel sad. This woman truly believed that the car had feelings. Of course she was crazy as can be, and of course she always referred to the car by the name she had given it.

But for some reason, the naming of boats or ships does not seem as crazy, maybe just because that is a custom that goes back at least some centuries.
Yes. Doesnt everybody? Raven is her name and her factory color. I named her Raven in honor of our family dog Raven rip.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You name your motorcycle?

·
Registered
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
515 Posts

I grew up with Herbie the Love Bug. Does that explain it? :giggle: My dad even had a white '73 Bug so naturally I named him Herbie. All my cars and bikes have had names. And, yes, I talk to them: I guess they're sort of like pets to me My bike is Sheldon, my car is Bug, the truck is Fezzik, the UTV us Rogue One, and the tractor is Wile E. ( It's a Kioti).

·
Registered
CB125R 2018 (Model Code: CBF125NAJ)
15 Posts
Even though people say Belgian drivers are bad... I've never experienced anything like what some Americans have described. People here generally are pretty chill/don't care about motorcyclists. The only big issue in Belgium are the bad roads and the fact that people don't realize the left lane is a passing lane.

Also, why call them cagers? People drive what they like. Don't be elitist, let people have some fun! 😄

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
Some of my bikes do have names, just to amuse myself I came up with them but I really never use them, usually I refer to them as the Blue Vision, the Black Vision, the Kingpin, and the old Honda.

But their proper names are
The Blue Vision is 'Babe' ( named after Paul Bunyan's big blue Ox), it's very big and very blue.
The Black Vision is 'Rosie' (named after George Jetson's robot maid) , when I bought it I was told it looks like it came from the future. I've seen a few people who ride Visions call them 'Jane' which was George's wife but I wanted to be a bit different.
The Kingpin doesn't really have a name, nothing presented itself yet.
The CB400TII doesn't really have a name, sometimes I call it 'The antique'

61 - 76 of 76 Posts