Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a guy in a suburban cross a double yellow today into my lane to try and make some kind of point. I thought about flipping around and following him while trying to dial *911, but thought better of it.

Some people are just azzh0les.

·
Infedel
136 Posts
Back in the days when I didnt have a car I carried a "mirror removal tool" in my saddle bag, basicly it was a handel from a greenlee hole puncher, about two feet long heavy gadge aluminum tube with a 1/2 in. thick triangle welded to the end an a green rubber grip at the other end, used with a throttle lock and rapid acceleration it worked well, I used it many times when I had to drive I95 in the am before sun up besides being completly run off the shoulder a few times , I've had a cigarette flicked at me directly (the guy aimed it and got lucky) land inside my visor and hot coffee thrown on me both those bozos lost their mirrors. I also had the lights on the bike set up for "black out" brake light included , just in case.
on another note , using this form makes me remember alot that I have forgotten over the years , scary

·
It's all about attitude
880 Posts
Back in the days when I didnt have a car I carried a "mirror removal tool" in my saddle bag, basicly it was a handel from a greenlee hole puncher, about two feet long heavy gadge aluminum tube with a 1/2 in. thick triangle welded to the end an a green rubber grip at the other end, used with a throttle lock and rapid acceleration it worked well, I used it many times when I had to drive I95 in the am before sun up besides being completly run off the shoulder a few times , I've had a cigarette flicked at me directly (the guy aimed it and got lucky) land inside my visor and hot coffee thrown on me both those bozos lost their mirrors. I also had the lights on the bike set up for "black out" brake light included , just in case.
on another note , using this form makes me remember alot that I have forgotten over the years , scary[/QUOT

Bet they didn't try that trick again, payback can be a bit-h

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got A yesterday. Doing 55, speed limit, right lane. Guy in a huge truck on my tail. I shake my head in disgust. He rides my tail for a while then passes on the left, slows as he passes me and shakes his head at me and speeds on. WTF?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't have much problems at all. I ride a C50 with bright running lights and a loud horn. I haven't had to use my horn yet. People do see the cruisers more than they notice the sport bikes. They have a much larger profile. I have had a few people race me when I am on the on ramp of the highway to make sure I don't get on in front of them. Of the two times I had a tailgater I slowed down to about 35 mph on the highway, once the clown went around the second time I had to turn around and point at the clown and tell him to go the FU_K around which he promptly did. What I have noticed is most of the"close calls" are from idiots who just aren't paying attention. I am an ex-OTR truck driver and had to take a number of defensive driver training courses. I would recommend everyone take defensive driver training, it will keep you a lot safer because you will know what to look for and how to react.
I would never slow down for Tailgater. You surprise me, having a OTR background. There are thousands of "Brake Check" videos on YT depicting idiots Effing with Truckers. A large portion of these events end very poorly for the leading vehicles. Not only do many being slowed down find it impossible to avoid a collision, many being Effed with will speed up and ram the vehicle in front of them. I prefer using my 79 HP to create the greatest distance possible between myself and the crazy cagers.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Finally, got to the current post, (after liking one of the 11 year old posts). But I will post a comment now that I got here.
Never brake check a vehicle that is bigger than your vehicle. On a motorcycle, that's almost everyone.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
It helps to make yourself as visible as possible. As a minimum, ride with your high beams on in the daytime. Don't dress in all black. Some may doubt it, but wearing a white or bright yellow helmet will make it more likely that you will be seen. If you see a car or truck waiting in a driveway and think he might be ready to pull out in front of you, or when approaching an intersection with a car or truck waiting at the cross street, move the bike in a back and forth pattern so that your headlight is not a fixed light, and thus likely to be more noticeable.

And once again I will recommend a modulating headlight. There is no doubt in my mind that this has made my riding much, much safer. Vehicles coming toward me or waiting to enter or cross the road I am on virtually always see me and know I am coming. And often cars in front of me, with drivers that do not realize that emergency vehicles always have red and blue flashing lights, not a modulating white light, sometimes pull over to let me pass easily, a nice side benefit even if it pisses them off when they realize I am not an emergency vehicle. The ONLY negative of a modulating headlight is the annoyance it can cause to riders/drivers in front of you. When riding in a group, it is easy enough for me to disable the modulating feature by quickly flicking the high beam/low beam switch up and down, and I can do the same to put the feature back on or just wait until I start the bike again after a stop.

As far as tailgaters, maybe I've been lucky but MOST of the time I use my left hand as a signal to the driver behind me to back off, and it usually works. I have my left hand facing down, palm open and the palm facing to the rear. Drivers almost always get the idea and slow down. But if I see someone coming up behind me who wants to pass me I will try to move over as quickly as safely possible to let them pass and not create an incident. My manhood is not threatened by someone wanting to drive or ride faster than I am.

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
359 Posts
Yup. I have to deal with type of cager crap almost every day. Its getting old.

·
Registered
359 Posts
on another note , using this form makes me remember alot that I have forgotten over the years , scary
My pennance stare tho.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
My gloved fist makes an excellent mirror removal tool too!
That type of road rage has its risks. Yesterday in Chicago, apparently a woman driving with her children would not let another vehicle cut into her lane. He pursued her, fired shots at her car, and killed her one year old with a bullet to the head. Is it worth it? There are more than a few people who would not hesitate to run into you or shoot you for breaking their mirror.

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
Registered
359 Posts
Two things:

1. You're on a 500 pound motorcycle and going to pick a fight with a vehicle that weighs up to 10x?

2. That kind of behavior gives us all a bad name. Don't do it.
Try 300lbs soaking wet. I give no one a bad name.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
In these crazy times, people have been known to shoot someone for “looking at me wrong”.

Reactions: FlipFlop
41 - 60 of 76 Posts