Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Infedel
136 Posts
I just accept that most people are to lazy to look , to stupid to hit the brake once they've seen you, careless or just bad drivers.
Tailgaters are my pet peve, I will do everything I can to stay in front of them and drag my ass for as long as I can, I always keep up with traffic, at least keep up, the only thing I do to make a cager "think" I'm going too slow is give myself enough space to stop safely, and dont come between me and my safety. the other day I flashed my brake light to some guy in a navigator 6 feet off my tail light @ 50 mph, he didn't get it , so , I down shifted and watched his reaction , (I dont recomend yall doing that) needless to say he got the idea, and stayed a safe distance.
I hate tailgaters really really hate them even when I'm in my truck and I see someone tailgating a bike I get ****ed

·
Registered
144 Posts
I haven't had much trouble with cagers in this area at least since getting my larger cruisers ('79 CM400 followed by an '09 Shadow). When I first started riding I was on a smaller scooter and had one close call. I was coming up to an intersection that has very bad visibility were my ex-wife had actually been in an accident before. I knew it was coming and knew the car wasn't going to see me so I was prepared. As the car turned left into my lane of travel I swerved to the right and ended up by the passenger window. The look of surprise, shock, and embarasement on the driver and passengers faces was priceless.
My theory is we say that all the other people driving out there are morons, idiots, and @$#%&*! (that is unless you're on a motorcycle of course) so we should ride accordingly. :thumbsup:

·
Special Member
669 Posts
I used to ride sportbikes but I just got a cruiser. Seems like people are more aware of me now on my cruiser. Could be my imagination.
Weird. People were always failing to see my on my UJM, but they seem to see me a lot better on my sportbike now. :confused: Then again, I have a better headlight, and a lighter-colored sportbike so there are other factors at play.

When vehicles are on a side road waiting to turn onto the road I'm on, I have a habit of doing a serpentine movement with the bike. Essentially, by weaving back and forth I am drawing the cager's attention
I do this too sometimes. The driver's eye picks up lateral motion much better.

Oh, and brake-checking cars when you're on a bike? Suicidal. Biker did that not too long ago in CA I believe, and got flattened (yes, killed,) by an RV.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, I am looking at around four days until I can hit the streets again. I have driven close to 350,000 miles in this city in the last 11 years. I have learned the nuances of the drivers, in particular areas, and streets. I would say the biggest problem here is tail gaiters. I get it every day in my work truck. I have never been slammed from the rear, but close, too close many times.
People are idiots, and in general 90% of drivers in autos, should NOT be on the road. But they are, and now getting back into motorcycles, I know that defensive driving is the only way to go. But by the same token, I will not put up with an +++hole who endangers me and he or she. I will pull over, and flag them over if necessasary. I had to do that last week in my truck. The guy wanted to fight, so I dialed 911. He went to jail that day! Yea I could have done the number on him, but why risk jail over an idiot?

·
Super Moderator
6,294 Posts
Some guy tail gaited me yesterday and then pulled as close as he could and passed me on my right, while I was in the left lane....I had to swerve into the middle lane to get away from him...mind you the speed limit is only 35 and changes up the road to 40 mph...which I was doing...Another guy in a beautiful Charger pulled up to me and asked if I was okay....I said I will be in about two minutes...well I did get his license plate!!!

So when I made my regular stop at Sheetz, the City PD and and County Sheriff happened to be there too...they both ran his plate and he had a warrant!!! :D So I told them what gas station he stopped at and where he originated from (possible works at too!)....Karma is a good thing!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Mostly for me is people violating MY lane and its usually because they have some phone glued to their ear and are totally oblivious to whats going on around them.

They finally are passing a law that makes it illegal to text while driving in Georgia. Now if we could just get them to ban cellphones in cars all together.

I can tell you this....Im recording plates and Im calling the cops on EVERY SINGLE person I see using one of those murder devices.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
So when I made my regular stop at Sheetz, the City PD and and County Sheriff happened to be there too...they both ran his plate and he had a warrant!!! :D So I told them what gas station he stopped at and where he originated from (possible works at too!)....Karma is a good thing!
Yea! :71baldboy:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
... I will pull over, and flag them over if necessasary. I had to do that last week in my truck. The guy wanted to fight, so I dialed 911. He went to jail that day! Yea I could have done the number on him, but why risk jail over an idiot?
Dangerous. But glad he went to jail.

I've had people get out of their car and pound on my window or get out and curse at me. I stayed in the car both times. In another timeline, I got into a fight and they either beat me or I beat them -- either way, it didn't turn out good. So I'm glad that I stayed put.

Dennis

·
10,756 Posts
Some guy tail gaited me yesterday and then pulled as close as he could and passed me on my right, while I was in the left lane....I had to swerve into the middle lane to get away from him...mind you the speed limit is only 35 and changes up the road to 40 mph...which I was doing...Another guy in a beautiful Charger pulled up to me and asked if I was okay....I said I will be in about two minutes...well I did get his license plate!!!

That is the best way to handle stupid people. Good for you. We pay taxes so the Police can confront idiots for us. Karma is a good thing, and yours just got a boost.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Let's hear it for the LEO's! I have directed police to a speeder/tailgater before. It doesn't happen often, but it is so sweet when you go cruising by and one of these jokers is getting what he deserves.

·
Registered
44 Posts
well i only started riding this year but i really don't have a lot of problems with cagers around here ( wausau, wi ).

Though about 3 weeks ago, when it started getting nice outside, I'd swear there was almost as many bikes as cars out. I also see a lot of those "watch out for bikers" sign's all over the place.

Maybe it just as something to do with the small town atomsphere. Or the great respect everybody seems to have for bikes around here. Everybody i always talks to seems to like motorcycles. Even had a harley guy dig my old suzuki becuase i guess that's what he ran around on as a kid.

Anyways, i think wisconsin just must be a great state ride in. glad to be here

·
Two Wheel Lifestyle
159 Posts
To bad Nevada isnt that way with the signs and all. Glad to hear you have a motorcycle friendly town/state

·
Registered
242 Posts
I live in Davenport Iowa (Sturgis on the River!) and apart from the winter months, there are always motorcycles everywhere. Seems like everyone who lives here either rides, or is related to someone who rides. I haven't had any real issues yet, but I am still very careful and hyper aware of how people are driving around me.

I just take to heart what a friend said to me when I started riding.

"No one sees you, and no one is looking for you." So yeah I drive as though I am invisible to everyone around me- invisible, but not invulnerable!

And I would never ever ever ever ever brake to scare a tailgater. You're more than likely going to end up as roadkill that way. I'll open up the throttle and get the hell away from those jackasses. If that means I get a speeding ticket, I'm strangely ok with that. I'd rather pay than die. And most of the cops around here won't pull you over for that anyway since they see what you're doing- getting away from a dangerous situation!

·
Super Moderator
6,294 Posts
Well I have to thank my Rider's Edge course again today! I am riding in the left lane of a five lane roadway (both directions and turning lane) when I see a woman in a car talking on her cell pull up to the exit from a store on my right....she is looking right at me....I find my horn and the second I see her wheels move forward I am slowing down and on that horn....she continues out into my right lane...and I cannot use the turning lane to my left because there is a car there...hit the back brake, until I heard it and then unlocked it before it could slide and applied both brakes.....she is looking right at me...shaking her hands all over ....CELL PHONE STILL IN HER LEFT HAND.... I was able to stop...I yelled at her to put the (^&&^*%% cell phone away and drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all noobs out there take those courses!!! because bikers are INVISIBLE!!!:mad:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Got my belly full of this kind of stuff yesterday.

On the way to work, southbound 75 frontage road, semi-truck at a complete stop on a side street waited for the car 100+ yards ahead of me to get past and pulled right out in front of me. Heavy braking and moved to the right to avoid hitting the trailer. Don't know if he was even looking, but got the bird as I accelerated around him.

On the way home from work, 3 lane inner-city street, I'm in the left lane, car ahead of me turns left, dufuss in a minivan ahead of me in the center lane decides when she reaches the center of the intersection that she wants to turn left also. I hit the brakes and head for the left curb to keep her van from chopping the front of my bike off.

People are so f*cking stupid and careless. I think I'm going to invest in a Bluetooth headset helmet and start following these people and calling the cops while I'm riding. Sadly enough, if people keep doing the same boneheaded things and are never corrected for it, they'll never learn. A nice fat careless driving ticket and the resulting points on her license is exactly what that bitch needs.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I think I'm going to invest in a Bluetooth headset helmet and start following these people and calling the cops while I'm riding... A nice fat careless driving ticket and the resulting points on her license is exactly what that bitch needs.
This would be ideal! However, I think a lot of cops just don't care about people getting cut off. Especially in inner city traffic where some idiot cuts someone off every second.. Several weeks ago on an inner city road, 3 lanes going one way, I was pulling up to a red light in the right lane as a car in the middle lane decides he wants my lane. I was ready for him and as soon as he came over I layed on the horn and he looked at me, completely ignored me and just came over anyway, by which time I had braked out of the way thankfully. Anyway, an officer was strolling down the sidewalk less than 10 yards away, saw the whole thing, didn't do jack. Whatever.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Well, the cutting off thing isn't a legal issue, but making a left turn from the center lane is definitely a citable offense.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts