Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are mainly two reactions I constantly get from people..

A.
They tailgate me and act as if I was not there, even if I honk or wave behind me to tell them to back off. Complete morons, and gives me a great fear of not knowing what's behind me.

B. People in front of me change lanes, and act as if I'm going to pull a stupid stunt out of nowhere and slam my brakes in front of them. Thus they're trying to avoid confronting me at all.

Different areas and a lot of different people in this world, tell me what people do when they see you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I get A. alot.

I also get the cars pulling out of driveways, look, see me coming, but still pull out in front of me.

I used to ride sportbikes but I just got a cruiser. Seems like people are more aware of me now on my cruiser. Could be my imagination.

·
A nice guy,...really..why are you laughing?
454 Posts
Nothing new around here,they've been like that since I started riding.
I even had a state trooper turn left in front of me on my way to work this morning.

·
Super Moderator
6,294 Posts
I counted 7 that turned in front of me this morning on the way to work! I even left early to avoid the heavier traffic! Didn't change a thing!

But must admit..only had one tailgater today..I think sometimes they just want to see if it really a woman rider...well lets see how many guys wear pink and black out there???:D

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
Registered
610 Posts
I remember I was traveling, and on the oncoming lane to my left there was some traffic, and there I see an SUV trying to sneak between two cars coming from a side street from the left, to then go on my path of travel. I knew this guy was not gonna see me and sure enough he didn't even creep up to see if the way was clear, just did a one shot run, had to brake a little harder than usual but not slam because I was prepared, as soon as the traffic ahead stopped I pulled up next to him and tapped on the window:

- Dude you came out of nowhere!- Says the cager.

-I came out of nowhere!? I was just driving on this street like everyone else, YOU came out of nowhere without even stopping!- I replied.

-Well I didn't see you!- Said the cager with a tone of false righteousness

-Well PAY MORE ATTENTION!!!!- And I drove away...

I hate people that even though they KNOW they are wrong, they still try to find a way to be right.. and fail miserably...

I get tailgaters a lot, I think it is that the bike is such a small object on the road, that those people used to see big cars in front of them, keep on getting closer until they see us well. OR they completely ignore our presence and concentrate on the car in front of US, and use that distance as a following distance, the fact that we are in between is just something that they, on purpose, disregard.

·
It's all about attitude
880 Posts
"tell me what people do when they see you."

Mostly point and laugh! The others try to get me to pay my bills.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don't have much problems at all. I ride a C50 with bright running lights and a loud horn. I haven't had to use my horn yet. People do see the cruisers more than they notice the sport bikes. They have a much larger profile. I have had a few people race me when I am on the on ramp of the highway to make sure I don't get on in front of them. Of the two times I had a tailgater I slowed down to about 35 mph on the highway, once the clown went around the second time I had to turn around and point at the clown and tell him to go the FU_K around which he promptly did. What I have noticed is most of the"close calls" are from idiots who just aren't paying attention. I am an ex-OTR truck driver and had to take a number of defensive driver training courses. I would recommend everyone take defensive driver training, it will keep you a lot safer because you will know what to look for and how to react.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Since I've had my cruiser, I've had very few incidents of people pulling out in front of me and tailgating me.
Of course, I've got driving lights on the front and a lot of lights on my trunk and rear end of my bike.
When vehicles are on a side road waiting to turn onto the road I'm on, I have a habit of doing a serpentine movement with the bike. Essentially, by weaving back and forth I am drawing the cager's attention and making the bike look wider than it really is.
I'm always aware of vehicles around me starting to merge into my lane. For those blind drivers, I've got a very loud air horn. Needless to say the horn, when activated, gets their immediate attention. The air horn sounds like a Mack truck is next to the cager! They tend to get back in their lane real quickly!!
Tailgaters...I won't put up with them. I have a Vetter trunk and I've change the light bulbs on the rear of the trunk with LED bulbs. If someone pulls up too close, I'll start out by hitting the brake just hard enough to light the trunk brake lights. The second time I will firmly hit my brakes and the quick slowdown will make a tailgater dirty their britches!!

CD

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I get both A and B, I consider it a bonus when people get out of my way and take advantage of an open lane. As for the tailgaters, I will usually switch lanes and get a car ahead or behind them.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have to say around my area, people are pretty good, so far in my experience. Now you will get the occasional person that is in front of you in the other lane and move into your lane without taking a thorough look at what traffic is coming before moving there. And the people in front of you not putting on their turn signals before slamming on their brakes, then making the turn.
What particularly concerns me is when I see people driving using their cell phones not paying attention to their driving like they should. I always try to be aware of everything around me, and anticipate drivers not seeing me. But these drivers using their cell phones not paying attention, scare me.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I've noticed that far more people cut me off or tailgate me in my cage than on my motorcycle. I find this true even given the fact that I ride every day and drive maybe once a week. I have to chalk it up to frame of mind. When I'm up on two I'm more alert, I mitigate dangers, I know I'm vulnerable so I act differently. You'd be surprised how much you can control the flow of traffic around you by assessing the situation and acting accordingly.

I know this isn't new information for most of you guys and you already practice this behavior, but if you're getting cut off 5 times a day still, then bump it up a notch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had all those problems, and expect to again. But for the most part I don't see a lot of situations calling for any reaction on my part. Some of that is probably due to having ingrained my riding habits over the past 40 years so that I don't allow them to arise.

·
10,756 Posts
I get both A and B. But they both happen when I am in my truck as well. The other day I had a kid pull out in front of me while I was on a 45mph street. I was driving a 3/4 ton bright red diesel pickup at the time. I locked up all four tires and some how did not hit the idiot. I guess if they can't see something like my truck, thinking that they will see your bike is just wishful thinking.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Despite my bright green bike with the brights on, and my bright red textile jacket, I still get pulled out in front of and lane-changed on. Was nearly pushed into a median by an idiot in a Civic yesterday by someone who apparently thinks it's not necessary to check mirrors or over his shoulder before changing lanes. No signal either, just jerk the wheel and go. Thankfully I've installed a louder horn so I got the pleasure of scaring the crap out of him, followed by a middle finger about 4 inches from his front passenger window as I went around him.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also get the cars pulling out of driveways, look, see me coming, but still pull out in front of me.

I used to ride sportbikes but I just got a cruiser. Seems like people are more aware of me now on my cruiser. Could be my imagination.

Unfortunately, they DON'T see you coming, even if they are looking right at you! Many studies have shown that drivers typically only see things that are commonly on the road, i.e., cars and trucks. Motorcycles and bicycles are not nearly as common and are smaller. Most people aren't aware of them, and since they don't ever think about them, they just don't register, even when they are looking right at them. The people most likely to see you are people who ride, their family (and maybe friends), and people who have had some direct experience with them.

I ride bicycles and motorcycles, and I get A a lot. Consequently, I ride like every other vehicle is trying to get me, and have had few unexpected close calls.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
...and since they don't ever think about them, they just don't register...
This is an interesting point and I 100% agree. I just read in a photography book about looking at what's around you vs actually seeing what's around you. Most people going about their day view the world briefly and they only "know" what they're looking at because they've seen it millions of times before. Car, truck, building, traffic light etc... So when something subtle and out of the norm enters their field of vision (like a motorcycle) they don't see it at all because they're not concentrating on what they're looking at, they're just viewing the roadway or whatever. The book applied this to helping someone take better pictures by finding details and spotting commonly overlooked things, but it definitely applies to this situation as well. ...I hope that made sense, the book explained it much better...

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
The book applied this to helping someone take better pictures by finding details and spotting commonly overlooked things, but it definitely applies to this situation as well. ...I hope that made sense, the book explained it much better...
I understood that, it's like telling the guy/gal that drives the same roads every day (and knows it well) to actually look for something they didn't notice before...kind of like a "spot the difference" puzzle....

I've done this before with my kids, when we go to town from home I go the same way all the time, I challenged them to spot every difference they could each time we left the house....it's kind of a fun game to play with kids when they are still little (not at 15 and 17 though lol)

·
Banned
770 Posts
I dont know how many times someone has made DIRECT eye contact with me and still tried to run me off the road.

Other then not seeing me.... when I'm behind a car and they see my bike they either drive to slow as a self righteous attemp to slow the sportbike behind them down (although Im not speeding) or they realize what im riding and speed up to where they should be, but the former happens way more.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Drivers do what they do -- they are animals that like to talk on phones, eat burgers, apply makeup, or whatever. They don't pay attention and "you choose to ride a MC so if you get killed because I wasn't paying attention, it's your own problem".

So, when I ride, I stay visible and sometimes weave around in traffic or in my lane so they notice me. If I come to an intersection and there're cars I weave, flash a high beam, etc. It's more like an obstacle course than just commuting.

Sometimes, I think it just makes sense to ride aggressively so drivers know where you're going and know you're there. Lately, I've had to drive offensively (e.g., passing on right) so I won't get boxed into a group of cars with folks not paying attention -- that's when I weave around traffic to get away. I look like a total prick riding a sport bike but it gets me out of danger.

Dennis

·
Registered
560 Posts
I am fortunate to live in an area that has about 10 months per year of riding weather, so there are a lot of Bikes on the road, and people may be used to seeing them. All I know is that no one has ever done anything to me while I was riding that they haven't done while I was in a cage.

Come to think of it.......I've done some of those stupid things to other cages while I was driving. :eek:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts