Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Visionary
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
94 pounds per bag of cement..but they felt heavier the last couple of times I did some work.

·
Visionary
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Update!
I've been riding my Honda more than working on it recently, I'm having more fun with that little bike than I ever imagined I would have, it's a blast for an evening rip around town after work to relax, and these days I sure need that.
I did do some polishing, last week I went over the chrome and cleaned that up, it looks pretty good, and now I'm starting on the aluminum, this side cover was the first victim. It's not perfect but I'm pretty happy with it, its a big improvement over the way it was with the failed lacquer coating and corrosion on it. I could do more, but I think I'm going to move on to the other side first and clean that one up till it looks decent first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Visionary
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
That engine side cover looks great, what was your process?
Red Scotchbrite pad and Mothers aluminum polish using finger power only.
Rub hard until the failed lacquer coating is removed and all the corrosion that was around and under it is gone, then wipe all the gray crap off with a clean Tshirt rag until it's clean. Repeat a few times until you stop finding corrosion and spots of gray lacquer. Then apply some more Mothers with a fresh Tshirt rag, rub more gently and evenly, then wipe that off, then let the residue dry and then polish with a really soft, fluffy microfiber towl to a shine.

I still see a few spots that I missed, but my theme on this project is keeping the bike as what it is, a 42 years on the road well maintained survivor so I might leave them for a bit of patina. I probably will eventually repaint the black around the "Honda" , it's worn off in places and I think I did some of that so I'll probably repaint it, i think the fresh black paint will really pop once it's done.

·
On The Road Again!
3,002 Posts
Mike, if that clear stuff is really lacquer,
did you consider user lacquer thinner first to
remove the clear? If it works, that seems like
it would make life easier for you.

·
Visionary
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Mike, if that clear stuff is really lacquer,
did you consider user lacquer thinner first to
remove the clear? If it works, that seems like
it would make life easier for you.
I've seen it called lacquer online but I'm not sure what it is really. I had the same idea, I tried what I had in the garage last night, brake cleaner, acetone, and alcohol, none of them touched it. This leads me to believe that it is not lacquer since I'm pretty sure the acetone or brake cleaner would have dissolved that.

I googled and found that most people do buff it off in one way or the other, more or less how I'm doing it, or take the covers off and get them stripped professionally. I found one reference to aluminum wheel clear coat chemical stripper, but it sounded like nasty stuff and not easy to find or safe to use without taking it apart.

So I decided to bite the bullet and see if it came off by hand and it does, it took about 2 hours to do that cover so it wasn't that bad really, I even still have SOME skin left on my fingers :)

I have another cover obviously and the fork sliders still to do, the forks are the worst corroded but being smooth should be pretty easy to do, I'll probably take the forks off, clean them up, change the oil and put them back on.

·
On The Road Again!
3,002 Posts
If it resists acetone, it's tough stuff!
But I'd try lacquer thinner just for the heck of it
if'n it was me.

·
Visionary
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Did the other side cover Friday night and the passenger peg mounts too . I think this side cover could be shinier but I got tired around midnight and called it a night.
This thing is starting to look better....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 55 of 55 Posts