Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Visionary
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be so much fun, I stumbled across an identical except for color bike to my first bike and I couldn’t resist adding it to my garage.

1978 Honda CB400t Hawk II. They only came in two colors, red and blue, so it was a 50/50 shot.

It starts off the kickstarter , charges, runs and rides. It has a few rough spots but considering its 42 years old really doesn’t look that bad, a little TLC should have it looking much better too. It’s been on the road and used occasionally all these years, the guy I bought it from got it from his dad who bought it from the second owner in 2003.

The kicker is that at 12k I think it has less miles on it than the one I owned back around 1988 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'd say it looks in dam nice shape for the year. Fun little bike and low miles to. Congrats!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
21,747 Posts
Yours is 2 years older than my second bike. A 1980 CB400 Hawk. So no kicker on mine. Good find Mike. (y) (y) (y)

Reactions: mike721

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,109 Posts
But it is so tiny.............you could carry it on the back of the vision as a spare :)

Nice find

·
Visionary
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But it is so tiny.............you could carry it on the back of the vision as a spare :)

Nice find
Like a dinghy :)

·
Visionary
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yours is 2 years older than my second bike. A 1980 CB400 Hawk. So no kicker on mine. Good find Mike. (y) (y) (y)
I’m glad this has the kickstart.
I don’t know if the electric start works or not, he told me it works sometimes but not today :). Funny thing is that my original was the same way.

It’s kind of fun kicking it over anyway.

·
On The Road Again!
3,386 Posts
Wow! Very nice, Mike! Congratulations!
Now, I expect to see that at Bike Night in the spring!!

·
Visionary
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, until it isn't. They usually go though.(y)
Hey, I charged the battery and the starter works fine. Imagine that!

·
7,759 Posts
Nice find!
I like the 'Auto' version of that bike.
Sam

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
That does bring back memories, I haven't kick started a bike in decades. Definitely a nice find. Watch out for rust in the tank, them old Honda's are known for it.

·
Visionary
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually rode my 42 year old bike for the first time last night, just 4 times around the block, at 10 Pm, in the ice cold rain..typical for me!
But it's running very well!
I removed and cleaned the tank, cleaned out the carbs, flushed the brake system, lubed the chain, replaced the air filter, changed the plugs and added new gas. I probably should get it registered one of these days :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Reliving your childhood is great. I bet you remember that bike being faster than it is. Come spring and you get a chance to register it and open it up more memories will come back. I picked up my childhood dream ride last winter 750 Maxim had the 650 back in the day. Yours looks in great shape enjoy and make sure to check the rear drum pads they can delaminate over time not a good thing

·
7,759 Posts
I'm still a child, every time I saddle up.:)
Old memories though, seem to be viewed through Rose colored glasses and young and inexperienced perceptions of power, speed and performance.
I would love to have a few of my past bikes, but only if they were brand new and not restored.

Sam:)

·
On The Road Again!
3,386 Posts
I actually rode my 42 year old bike for the first time last night, just 4 times around the block, at 10 Pm, in the ice cold rain..typical for me!
But it's running very well!
I removed and cleaned the tank, cleaned out the carbs, flushed the brake system, lubed the chain, replaced the air filter, changed the plugs and added new gas. I probably should get it registered one of these days :)
Excellent!! Was it the way you remembered it?
My first NEW bike was a 1970 Honda CB-350, red and white.
$710 out the door. Paid cash. I wouldn't mind having another one.
But the one I never should have sold was the NEXT one, a 1966 BMW R/50.
It wasn't fast, but it could run all day at highway speeds. It was the first bike
that I actually took a trip on, two trips in fact. First up to Vermont, and then
down to the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia.
Ah! Those were the days.

·
American Legion Rider
21,747 Posts
Old memories though, seem to be viewed through Rose colored glasses and young and inexperienced perceptions of power, speed and performance.
Yeah, remember when 45mph felt like you would crash and burn any second??? I sure do. Now I complain I can't hit 130mph and go out and get the tools to make it happen. Who said we grow up???

Reactions: Porky

·
Visionary
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, in my mind I remember it being big and heavy and fast... it sure seems a lot lighter now! Considering I think it weighs 350 pounds, and my usual ride is about 850...I'm not surprised.
I'll have to look at the rear pads, I'll be changing the tires soon, I'll check them then. They work ok for now.

Reliving your childhood is great. I bet you remember that bike being faster than it is. Come spring and you get a chance to register it and open it up more memories will come back. I picked up my childhood dream ride last winter 750 Maxim had the 650 back in the day. Yours looks in great shape enjoy and make sure to check the rear drum pads they can delaminate over time not a good thing

Reactions: Uxbridge Brule

·
Visionary
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Either I've gotten shorter or I just am used to lower bikes, I was surprised how high the seat is compared to my cruisers, I don't remember tip toeing the bike but that's what I'm doing. it's light enough that it doesn't really matter but it surprised me.

It felt weird the first time around the block but then I settled in, until I lost power and got stuck halfway around the second time! The bike sputtered, stalled then refused to start. I was telling myself, OK, no big deal, probably something minor and at least it's only 2 blocks to push when I remembered that this thing has a petcock, and it would probably run better with the fuel turned ON. :)

My other thought fro the short ride around the block was I was thinking, WOW, I used to ride one of these things on the interstate at 60 mph in all the truck traffic? I must have been braver back then! I know I rode to work on it around 1987-1988 a few times at least, back then that meant riding on the Van Wyck expressway from Flushing, Queens to JFK Airport, in Jamaica, Queens, about 15 miles of some of the busiest NYC highway you could ever ask for.

Excellent!! Was it the way you remembered it?
My first NEW bike was a 1970 Honda CB-350, red and white.
$710 out the door. Paid cash. I wouldn't mind having another one.
But the one I never should have sold was the NEXT one, a 1966 BMW R/50.
It wasn't fast, but it could run all day at highway speeds. It was the first bike
that I actually took a trip on, two trips in fact. First up to Vermont, and then
down to the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia.
Ah! Those were the days.

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 20 of 55 Posts