Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decide after riding in my parking lot for a couple of days I was ready to hit the main road. I was riding doing good was a little cold, so i'm heading home and ran out of gas. was pretty funny. Had two guys stop to see if i was ok thought that was pretty cool.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
No reserve left?

I've done that before - the reserve function didn't work on my first bike, found that out the hard way!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ha! Well hey, now you'll never forget!

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Time to practice switching to reserve while riding. You never know.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
I had a similar incident on a quad. My sis and I went to "El Rancho Not-So-Grande" ( what my dad calls his spread ), and ran the quad for hours. Then the tank went dry on my sister, and I had to carry a 5 gallon can of gas some 3/4 a mile to fill it up. Only then realized she hadn't even touched the reserve tank... *facepalm*

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Ha! Well, most of us have been there at some point. I recently sold a bike to my cousin's boyfriend. He ran out of gas and had to call my cousin's dad to bring him some gas on the side of the road. He was telling me this later on and I mentioned it sucks to forget to turn the petcock back to "run" after getting to the gas station on "reserve". He asked what I meant.

Doh! He didn't know there was a reserve on the bike. There was no need to call for help. I did tell him this when he bought it, but obviously forgot.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I only did that one time and it was on the freeway. the bike started to stutter so I flipped the switch to prime and kept going.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
what's this "reserve" you guys keep talking about? On my bike when I get low on gas a light comes on and the odometer flips over to a trip odometer and starts running.....

heh, ok so the first street bike I ever owned was F.I. but I do remember having to switch a few times on and old dirt bike I had when I was 14, but I never ran out of gas on it....I was lucky, I couldn't get far from home on it (didn't have a lot of places I could ride)

·
8,606 Posts
At one time in the far and distant past in another galaxy far away, bikes had no "Gas gage" nor "Tripmeter" so when you filled up you had to write it down or try to remember how far you'd went taking into consideration your past MPG---or, you ran your main tank dry and then reached under the tanks and turned the valve to reserve and you had maybe 1/2 to 1 gallon more to go. If you rode in town, that 1/2 or so gallon was enough to let you get to a station but if you were out in the Rural area, it could scare you a little bit.

Like was said, practice reaching down and flipping the reserve lever quickly, because if you are in traffic and it happens, you don't want to have to frantically wave and signal to coast to the side of the road---of course this would never happen to me:wink:

***** If you do ride it to the station, on reserve, make sure you put the lever back to the "ON" setting or when you run out again there will be no reserve.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I agree with the practicing though, a buddy of mine started riding his dad's '77 Honda CB750 (no gas gauge there either) out for a ride one day with his parents, ran out and as he reached to switch to reserve, he ran right off the side of the road.....lucky for him there was no ditch and it was fairly smooth ground......but it can get you if you're not careful switching while riding

·
On The Road Again!
3,845 Posts
On both of my bikes, I set the trip meter to zero every time I fill up.
On the Trail 90, when I see 80 miles, I know I'm getting near reserve.
On the 76 Goldwing, 150 miles is pretty close to reserve.
The Goldwing has a fuel gauge, but it is so inaccurate that it's useless so I never look at it.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I don't like walking. I really don't like pushing a bike. I don't like the idea of walking back to where my bike WAS and finding it stolen, towed, or stripped.

So I fill up when I'm below a half tank and there's a convenient gas station.

I also don't like replacing expensive in-tank fuel pumps on fuel injected bikes AND cars. For that reason alone I never let fuel go below 1/4 of a tank; the in-tank pumps are COOLED by the gasoline they're immersed in. You want to spend $700-$1200 getting a fuel pump replaced days, months or years earlier than you have to? Drive around with the low fuel light on all the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts