Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey wanted to shout out for some info on Rain Riding.

I am actually one of those people that see the storms comming and jump for my bike. I have been riding for many years on my 94 suzuki rf600 (in the rain :D ) and use all the proper safty gear yet I am worried about my new bike. I just picked up a 08 cbr and its so nice I dont want to ruin the engine. I hear there fine running in the rain. I was looking to fnd info on improving that capability. An insert maybe or something to protect the air vent while not choking the engine.

I always feel that if you do not push that envelope when it comes out of the blue you will not be ready. I am a chicago rider 365 rain sleet or snow. I feel more capable on the bike from riding in these adverse conditions and would like to get some input on the subject it self as well. :p

I've found that laying down on the bike vastly improves the control in these conditions. Placing the sturnum on the tank and cradling the legs on the back pegs shifting with hand (ofc at the rpm breaks). This in effect lowers the Center of Gravity on the bike making it pretty much impossible to tip. I have even been in the rain on one wheel in this position shiftigng to second in the air with no adverse effect. I come from a long line of Aerobatic flying (been flying sinse 4 years old 20+ years of aerobatics and airshows over 50,000 hrs) and more over I fly the bike. I believe in this concept so much that I have gone through a ft deep chunk of snow like it was butter bairly a wobble. This concept really takes knowing the envelope of the bike and keeping in that extreme in the max effect gear for the speed and time.

I do not condone people trying this without years of riding first and slowly working your way into this type of riding. I my self am hesatent on riding now on my new bike and will be relearning the whole process to be able to continue. But omg the rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

From walls of rain forming patterns wipping past to the pristine large snow flakes dancing about its so beautiful. ;) :)

Keep the Rubber side Down!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have never heard of anyone riding in the snow. The rain and high winds are hard enough. I have ridin under some dangerous conditions but this one takes the cake if true.

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
Hey wanted to shout out for some info on Rain Riding.

I just picked up a 08 cbr and its so nice I dont want to ruin the engine. I hear there fine running in the rain. I was looking to fnd info on improving that capability. An insert maybe or something to protect the air vent while not choking the engine.

QUOTE]

That's what your air filter is for. Replace the stock one with a K&N unit and keep it serviced. It'll keep the water out. My airbox looks like a piece of Swiss cheese from all the extra holes I put in it, but the filter keeps the water out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chicago winters can be nasty and motorcycle is my only vehical william hehe. (ofc im not out in a blizzard but once the plows come through once I'm out through whats left over I'm not that crazy but I do deal with alot of snow, black ice, to all of a sudden dry pavement. I've made it down the street many times in blizzard conditions but I didnt feel that it was safe enough for the open road lol). I dont know if I will be trying it on my new bike at least till I get it caged out. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what your air filter is for. Replace the stock one with a K&N unit and keep it serviced. It'll keep the water out. My airbox looks like a piece of Swiss cheese from all the extra holes I put in it, but the filter keeps the water out.
(still learning the interface hope I'm quoting right)

Thanks for the info pint. I haven't reached my 600 mile yet and gona look into swaping the airfilter out when I go in for it. Any and all information to alter the bike to help with this is much Appreciated :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Chicagoan

I think I believe you now. You sound like a chicagoan. I am in the chicago burbs. Was brought up in Chicago, west side in the 60s moved to north side in the 70s.

My question to you is what do people say when you come to work on the bike. Does the salt damage the bike since I know chicago dumps alot of salt on the road. And how about the potholes. They must be bad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chi-Town! hehe Killinois lol Kill The Noise lmao

Home Sweet Home

I'm out actually in the SW burbs.... Chillin all my life

With reference to work. I have been starting my own company Nealeygraphics.com (won't let me link till I got 15 posts lol)

Need anything????

I have an adept ability with 3D or 2D and can make an animate just bout anything. I am very fast and can freehand alot. I keep expanding into new directions all the time. I am pushing the bike appearance with this company I will ride the design to you! :D through that weather.... trying to give the feeling "Well if he got here through that, gona be there later". I'm currently lacking a laptop but thats next. :rolleyes:

I have a few client projects for patent even my own project..... I figured out perpetual motion in a usable manor needing no fuel what so ever. Been building a portotype from the drawings I created. I'm currently working on reverse engineering a motor into a generator from some instructions I found on the web to hook to my idea. I cant wait..... Looking for it to be something to run a house. Or nother idea, this is so compact that it would be able to keep the new electric cars batteries filled constantly. :D :D :D ;)

I just wish I could say more n explain the concept but I can't till get patent :(

Salt sucks I constantly took my old bike to get washed and in the 3 days I've had my new bike I have been over it with a fine tooth comb so to speak.
As for potholes I purposely take points on the ground all the time tiny cracks or what not and always practicing weaving so its just a bump of the hips. :cool:

I do get the "u drove through that???!!!" tho lol. Especialy commin full gear :p

Live to Fly....Ride to Live!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts