Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
CB125R 2018 (CBF125NA European)
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Hope everyone is doing well.

I couldn't resist the urge and decided to buy a new exhaust pipe for my little bike next summer. However, I need some advice.

The exhaust I've chosen is at an almost 45° angle, meaning rain can find its way in. What are the effects of rain in the pipe? I think hydrolocking is unlikely, but does the water evaporate without any side effects? I'm worried about rust and water vapor finding its way into the combustion chamber.

I am blessed with a garage I can park my bike in, but in the unlikely case it has to sit outside, I'm probably covering up the exhaust pipe just to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

·
Bürgerpolizei
2009 Ninja 500r
1,495 Posts
Yes it could be a problem, but sounds like it wont be for you. If you run it regularly and especially after any rain or washing occurrences you will be fine, if you run the bike.

I take it you are going with some kind of extremely different type of exhaust? That might change HOW the bike runs, and should be a larger concern.

Reactions: PietiePoo

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Better than a banana in the tail pipe! :D Sorry, poor humor but I couldn't resist. My apologies. Your bike will be fine, rain water will never reach the CC. On start up you'll notice water droplets and then evaporation. Love Belgium!
Good luck! (y)

·
Registered
CB125R 2018 (CBF125NA European)
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it could be a problem, but sounds like it wont be for you. If you run it regularly and especially after any rain or washing occurrences you will be fine, if you run the bike.

I take it you are going with some kind of extremely different type of exhaust? That might change HOW the bike runs, and should be a larger concern.
See picture. What's your opinion?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product

·
Visionary
5,136 Posts
As long as you run it for a few minutes after a heavy rain it will be fine, the water will dry out with all the hot exhaust.
If you had to park it in a tropical storm with 12 inches of rain or aomething similar then then maybe stuffing a cork or something in the exhaust wouldn't hurt, other than that I wouldn't worry, lots of bikes have upward slanted mufflers

·
Bürgerpolizei
2009 Ninja 500r
1,495 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: PietiePoo

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
If there is any water in the exhaust pipe it won't stay in there long after you turn the engine over. If it didn't happen that way you could never ride through deep water.
If you do drown your bike, the awesome guy in this video explains how to deal with that better then I have ever seen demonstrated before. :LOL:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not much rain actually goes in the opening, so generally it's a non-issue.

More of an issue is cleaning the bike (unseen dust suddenly shows up), which is why I leave a motorcycle cover at work.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,432 Posts
I would not be suprised to find a small drain hole in the lower portion of that muffler.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
Hey guys! Hope everyone is doing well.

I couldn't resist the urge and decided to buy a new exhaust pipe for my little bike next summer. However, I need some advice.

The exhaust I've chosen is at an almost 45° angle, meaning rain can find its way in. What are the effects of rain in the pipe? I think hydrolocking is unlikely, but does the water evaporate without any side effects? I'm worried about rust and water vapor finding its way into the combustion chamber.

I am blessed with a garage I can park my bike in, but in the unlikely case it has to sit outside, I'm probably covering up the exhaust pipe just to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

Do a google image search, you will find just about 98% of all bikes have an up swept rear exhaust. and if you have concerns, just do like we do to our air cooled VW sand rails, when we park em, put a 32oz cup over it...or a half slice of a tennis ball...

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you do drown your bike, the awesome guy in this video explains how to deal with that better then I have ever seen demonstrated before. :LOL:
Well, I bet it's a great explanation if you know all of the languages he's mixing in that word salad! I heard English words, Spanish ones and some that sounded Japanese. Indonesian or Malaysian maybe?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts